Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from practice to industry

Options
  • 29-05-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I am seriously considering a move from practice to industry but I don't know if this is a totally unrealistic move given my circumstances.

I qualified in a small practice and have about 6 years PQE in a small practice. (due to recession and financial commitments I have not changed jobs earlier)

In my current job my salary is fairly ok - €40K plus up to 5% bonus. I don't think I would get any better paid than this in practice (in the country). There is no chance of promotion. The job is ok but I feel like I really need a change and some hope of promotion and a payrise.

I was thinking of chancing a maternity contract in a multinational /(if I could get one) just to get the experience. From this I would hope to get a permanent job in another company.

I have a mortgage and the equivalent in crèche fees every month. I couldn't really afford to be unemployed for more than 2 months. Am I totally mad in thinking about leaving my current job?

Also for all of you who work in multinationals, are the horror stories about month end true? working till midnight for a week and working long hours for the rest of the week?

My partner works evenings so I would have to find extra childcare if I was working late evenings. This is the main reason holding me back at the moment... plus not seeing my kids as much.

Any opinions or advice appreciated!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Is your current job a comfortable 9-5 with no overtime?
    If it is, I'll trade you😉
    I leave home at 7am when kids are still asleep and get home at about 7pm. I get two very rushed and stressful hours with them in the evening. And it stucks!
    I have friends in multi nationals and they work longer hours than me. Expected to take late night business phone calls at home( due to USA time different) and answer emails promptly at weekends etc.

I'm hoping to move to 'boring with a work/life balance' in the next year. Consider any move carefully. Best of luck

Depends on the multinational. For the maternity contract I am on I walk out the door at five most days.
    Month end will take a few hours of overtime. Quarter end will take a lot of overtime including a Saturday occasionally.

How many roles do you see coming up in your area - contracting can be hit and miss. You could be stuck contracting for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

€40k with 6 years pqe sounds poor to be honest. What part of the country are you in as this would influence the wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Digger35

viztopia wrote: »
    €40k with 6 years pqe sounds poor to be honest. What part of the country are you in as this would influence the wage.

i am in galway. There are a few multinationals in galway and the odd permanent job comes up but its mainly contracts from what i can see on irish jobs. But if i dont take a risk i guess i will be stuck in the same deadend job. Dont get me wrong, its a nice place to work, the hours are good, barely any overtime. I just want some hope for the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I think you'd be foolish to take a maternity contract and leave a permanent job especially if you only have two months buffer.

Look, but only leave after you get a permanent job offer.

And it's not just an option between a small practice and a large US multi-national. There are other options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Even though creche fees are expensive at least they are only for a couple of years! Keep an eye on www.publicjobs.ie which had listings for the public sector. Even though they are not really recruiting now they will start in the next year or two and then hopefully something comes up for you.

Advertisement