Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Ussher/ postgraduate research studentships 2015

Options
  • 29-05-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Please, anyone with news on the ussher/research studentships for 2015? When are they being announced? Has anyone had informal notification of selection? What actually happens after ticking in the online form you want to be considered? Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

I think when you hear will in part depend on what faculty/school you are in. Ussher Fellowships are awarded by faculties and Postgraduate Studentships are (I think?) awarded by schools. So different people are liable to hear at different times.

Once you tick the box you'll be considered and that's basically it. I don't know if they tell you if you were unsuccessful or not, but I'd be inclined to think they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walaseaux

tiro wrote: »
    I think when you hear will in part depend on what faculty/school you are in. Ussher Fellowships are awarded by faculties and Postgraduate Studentships are (I think?) awarded by schools. So different people are liable to hear at different times.

Once you tick the box you'll be considered and that's basically it. I don't know if they tell you if you were unsuccessful or not, but I'd be inclined to think they don't.

Many thanks for your explanations. I think it would have been better for them to let everyone who isn't nominated know from the onset. Personally i applied for both ussher n studentship at Geography dept and had admission by March. It was only on 28th April that I had an email from administrator at school of natural sciences that I shd submit a 500word personal statement in support of my application for an ussher/trinity award by 12pm on 1st May ( the last day schools must submit their nominations for ussher). That's it.. Haven't heard anything since and I actually don't know how the nominations work! Any idea? How many nominees do schools send for the ussher? Do they ask all those who ticked on the online form for personal statement before selecting the school's nominee? If you are nominated for ussher does dat mean at the very least u could get the postgraduate studentship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

My understanding is that each faculty gets a set amount of Ussher Fellowships. There are 6 total (AHSS = 3, EMS = 2, and HS = 1). Every school within each faculty gets to nominate one candidate, and the pool of these selected candidates are then reviewed by the relevant faculty. So, in your case the school of natural sciences will get to nominate one candidate.

I don't know anything about the personal statement issue, I'm afraid.

And I think that if you are nominated for the Ussher but fail to get it then you are still eligible for the Postgraduate Studentship (I imagine you'd have a good chance of getting it in that case).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walaseaux

tiro wrote: »
    My understanding is that each faculty gets a set amount of Ussher Fellowships. There are 6 total (AHSS = 3, EMS = 2, and HS = 1). Every school within each faculty gets to nominate one candidate, and the pool of these selected candidates are then reviewed by the relevant faculty. So, in your case the school of natural sciences will get to nominate one candidate.

I don't know anything about the personal statement issue, I'm afraid.

And I think that if you are nominated for the Ussher but fail to get it then you are still eligible for the Postgraduate Studentship (I imagine you'd have a good chance of getting it in that case).

Many thanks for this. I am grateful. I will anxiously wait, surely a time will come to know my fate!

Advertisement