Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 830

Options
  • 29-05-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭

About to buy the 830 seems a decent windows phone and should keep me going until the my hyped possibly non existent 1030 comes out!

Any one know of any offers about the place for a sim free unit?

Cheers!
    km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

Very nice phone.

Coming in under €290 incl postage with Amazon.de.

Choose the Gerat ohne Vertrag option and then choose the Amazon pricing. They will deliver to Ireland.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've been ordering things recently from amazon.fr recently with great success, the 830 can be found for around 280 to 290 inc postage. Excellent value for an excellent phone.

There are rumours of the 940 being out by September / October with USB-C, Iris recognition, 20mp camera, microsd, Qi charging, 5.2 inch screen, and a design similar to the 830. I'm holding out for that but if anything happens to my 920 in the meanwhile then the 830 is the phone to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Thanks all - was looking at amazon euro options - never ordered before - think I will take a small hit to go with amazon direct just in case of returns needed etc

I was also holding out a bit for the latest 10XX series to see if there was a better than 830 option that would take an SD card.. but.. could be waiting a while for something that wont exist - the 830 seems a good compromise on size vs price vs features (mostly decent camera and SD card) - could always sell it on if something better comes along!

Actually - another Q - was gonna get a Samsung Evo SD card to go with it - that should be plenty fast enough? - i.e. no need for the pro card?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

km991148 wrote: »
    Actually - another Q - was gonna get a Samsung Evo SD card to go with it - that should be plenty fast enough? - i.e. no need for the pro card?

Just make sure it's a Class 10 card...

http://www.kingstonmemorycards.co.uk/mobile-phone/nokia/nokia-lumia-830-mobile-phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Also consider the 640 before you buy. The 4G model is over a €100 cheaper than the 830 and whilst it doesn't have the quality feel of the 830 there isn't a vast difference in the specs and if it is just to be a stopgap until a new flagship is launched it might be a worthwhile saving....

invest4deepvalue.com

640 looks pretty identical in many aspects - but I like the quality look of the 830 - although this is my first new phone for about 5 years.. so anything will do at this stage :)

New 830 arrived today - great service from amazon.de.. threw in a wireless charger as well.. forgetting that it was from eu and hence a big oversize plug (that will need a converter) on the end.. DOH!

Other than that.. looks a good phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

that shipping was fast! got myself and 830 as well a few weeks ago from .de and it took nearly 2 weeks to get it!!.
    First windows phone and really like it. The OS has some quirks but really like the UI compared to Android that i was on.
    The camera is great on it (especially considering how its <€300 sim free) but one thing i've noticed is that if you take a lot of photos in a row you cant take any more for a few seconds when a "Saving" message appears on the phone. Happens sooner in Lumia Camera's Rich Capture mode. Not sure if its an SD card issue. Am saving all photos to it and its an Adata 64gb cl-10/uhs-1.
    Also if you go view photos after taking then straight away it says "Processing", especially again in Rich Camera mode. I presume its the extra post processing but wondering if its exacerbated by my SD card..

One more thing, can i delete all those .nar files? they are taking up a load of space seeing as they are multiple images for Rich capture.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Scruff wrote: »
    First windows phone and really like it. The OS has some quirks but really like the UI compared to Android that i was on.

Enjoy it whie it lasts :). Windows Mobile 10 is unfortunately a bit more Android-like, as Microsoft felt they had to follow the market (because leading it wsn't getting them anywhere fast).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

While there's lots to like in Windows Phone, its still missing a lot of functionality (and apps) that the other mobile OS'es have had for years.

beauf wrote: »
    While there's lots to like in Windows Phone, its still missing a lot of functionality (and apps) that the other mobile OS'es have had for years.
    I don't think the OS itself is missing any functionality, but developers often ignore it when releasing apps.

As this is a thread about the 830 I won't go into it. But for me its missing more than just apps. But I'm still looking forward to WP10. It's looking like most devices will get it too.

that shipping was fast!

ye - I was surprised - 730 pm Monday night it left Amazon - 710 am Tuesday morning it was on the UPS truck in Dublin

I paid an extra euro for the 2 day del option.. but even then!

As for the oversize euro plug on the wireless charger.. small bit of wangling (do not try this at home etx) with a plastic pen lid got it into thte UK/Ire style socket :)

As for win 10.. what can be done really - need to suck it up or keep 8.1 for as long as possible!

Also - Anyone know what 'stock' apps to you get on UK Ire 830s? Buying in Germany also left me with a few German specific apps (DBahn Timetables etc!)

Just curious as to what I am missing (prob nowt!)

FYI I've notice my Lumia charges faster with a higher rated (amps) charger.

Most phones should charge quicker alright, however it may not be the best for the battery - again a little off topic - but I think modern batteries respond better to slower charges (and keeping them topped up).

I will test this out wit the DT-900 Qi charger I got with the phone (with its big ol Euro plug!)

Just if you are getting a different charger, many phone now support the Quick Charge 2.0 specification which allows a higher voltage charger to be used for much faster charging. For example...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8441/nokia-lumia-930-review/6
    http://www.gsmarena.com/charge_test-review-1239.php

The 830 has a removable battery. If damaging it is a concern.

beauf wrote: »
    FYI I've notice my Lumia charges faster with a higher rated (amps) charger.

The Snadragon 400 in the 830 supports Quick Charge 2.0, apparently, but the coverage of Windows 8.1 Update 1 (GDR1) specifically mentions enabling Quick Charge for phones with Snapdragon 800 CPUs, and didn't say anything about 400 based devices, but that could have changed in Denim - I would have thought it would be a firmware change anyway, not an OS change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

An windows update just got applied to my 830. not sure what exact version of 8.1 it was on before but it now says its on 8.1 update 1 going on the version numbers listed here:
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/how-to/wp8/basics/windows-phone-8-update-history

but update 2 is apparently available now for the 830.. strange.
    I bought this from Amazon.de so who controls the update schedule: Microsoft or my Network provider (Meteor, even though they dont sell the 830)??

• Advertisement

An windows update just got applied to my 830. not sure what exact version of 8.1 it was on before but it now says its on 8.1 update 1 going on the version numbers listed here:
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/how-to/wp8/basics/windows-phone-8-update-history

but update 2 is apparently available now for the 830.. strange.
    I bought this from Amazon.de so who controls the update schedule: Microsoft or my Network provider (Meteor, even though they dont sell the 830)??
    If you go into Setting/Extras+Info, it should list the "Mobile Operator" that will control your updates (as far as I know).

I just got an unlocked Dual-SIM 640 from Expansys, and it's showing the Mobile Operator as 000-HK, which I'm assuming is a reference to Hong Kong (the Chinese keyboard was preinstalled when I first turned on the phone, but it wasn't selected as the default, thankfully!:)). Nieher of the SIMs that I have in the phone are from Hong Kong, needless to say :)

I also got an update yesterday, and as soon as I clicked on the reboot button, I kicked myself that I hadn't grabbed some screenshots of the About and Extras+Infos pages first. The About screen says that I'm running 8.1 Update 2 now, but I'm pretty sure that's what the 640 ships with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A minor update is being rolled out to a fair few Lumias, regardless of the update number, just to fix a problem with some random resets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My 640XL was already on update 2 out of the box but got a minor update about 10 days ago. When I googled the version number I have now it's a "road map" update that allows the phone to update to Win 10.

My phone is a dual sim FR French market phone.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

( 'Pound' shops sell neat euro to 13A plug adapters )

Advertisement