Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV owners should know better, they are worse than Ice people.

Options
  • 29-05-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Just left Newcastle unable to get into CP bay because a Mitsubishi? thing, with a "Plug in Hybrid"sign is using the only available bay and Not plugged in. Will we ever have a "Go to Man"? Another guy/girl regularly leaves a Vauxhall Ampera plugged in for maybe three days at a time.You would be disappointed to find out that Electric people don't know or care.
    New Technology, Same old people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

reboot wrote: »
    Just left Newcastle unable to get into CP bay because a Mitsubishi? thing, with a "Plug in Hybrid"sign is using the only available bay and Not plugged in. Will we ever have a "Go to Man"? Another guy/girl regularly leaves a Vauxhall Ampera plugged in for maybe three days at a time.You would be disappointed to find out that Electric people don't know or care.

People just don't think about the impact of their actions on others, I find either leaving a note or sticking around to have a quick chat usually solves the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've seen a huge range of design on the spaces. From ones where you can access the charge point from about 6 adjoining spaces, to very silly ones in concrete bays where only one car can get in.

I left the car charging overnight in a space, from about 5pm. Would have been done at 2amish. i was away from home at at the end of my range). But I was wary of blocking the charger (even though there was another space which could use it). And when I got back, I had forgotten my ESB card, so couldn't release my cable! Had to go off and get it, another 10 mins. That's just silly programming. If there is nothing charging, the next person who swipes should be able to eject the previous cable. I have no desire to hog the point with my cable when my car is full.

It really wouldn't be too difficult for local authorities to implement a 2 hr maximum stay at the standard street chargers. Or for the ESB to charge a substantial fee for more than a 2 hr stay via the electric bill, but make clear of this at the charge points and by sending out notification via post,make it clear as part of the terms and conditions and any abuse will mean their access blocked.

The same can be applied to the fast chargers, 80% max charge and move on !

Most of the problem is people simply do not care that their actions may result in inconvenience to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

pwurple wrote: »
    I've seen a huge range of design on the spaces. From ones where you can access the charge point from about 6 adjoining spaces, to very silly ones in concrete bays where only one car can get in.

I left the car charging overnight in a space, from about 5pm. Would have been done at 2amish. i was away from home at at the end of my range). But I was wary of blocking the charger (even though there was another space which could use it). And when I got back, I had forgotten my ESB card, so couldn't release my cable! Had to go off and get it, another 10 mins. That's just silly programming. If there is nothing charging, the next person who swipes should be able to eject the previous cable. I have no desire to hog the point with my cable when my car is full.

I think the CP here wins the prize. Its on a raised plynth,covered in bushes,never cut back and back to front!. By that I mean if you drive into the bay as normal,the CP is at your boot. This then involves running the cable over wet bushes and hoping it reaches the CP outlet.The alternative is to try to reverse between the Ice car,badly parked over the white line and the raised plynth/bushes.
    No point in going for the other bay as only one is painted green and always iced, because people don't know its an electric bay.
    When all this was pointed out to NIE over two years ago, they said, you guessed it, nothing.
    A garden centre not far away has the CP close to the loading bay and normally truck blocked,the local hotel has the CP at the boiler house and mostly white van man iced,its the trades entrance.
    I suppose one can't blame the man who sites these CPs, as he almost certainly never bought or drives an EV,like most of the people I talk to at various meetings on these subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lol. Amusing one this morning. Pulled into a carpark with two EV spaces. Cones in them. A mini cooper was parked diagonally across one of the spaces, to avoid the cone if you get me.

I hooked up the charger and said it to the car park attendant office (right next to the spaces). "Yeah... He's not parked in it though is it? " "no, he's parked across it, so no other car can get in. " "yeah, what can you do".

Sigh.

• Advertisement

Photos would be nice ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

reboot wrote: »

That's because they're no different than every other person. Free parking/charging is ridiculous in the case of EVs. They're an extremely scare resource and if they're not priced correctly they'll be abused. Given the nature of the technology I'd be screaming for an appropriate rate. The cost for electricity should be higher than anything you pay at home and built into the parking cost. Which should be higher than standard parking rates. Any other rate leads to abuse.

That's because they're no different than every other person. Free parking/charging is ridiculous in the case of EVs. They're an extremely scare resource and if they're not priced correctly they'll be abused. Given the nature of the technology I'd be screaming for an appropriate rate. The cost for electricity should be higher than anything you pay at home and built into the parking cost. Which should be higher than standard parking rates. Any other rate leads to abuse.

Our friend has used the space all day, every day during the Open.

Is there not an input of monies from Europe in these schemes,and use it or loose it may apply? Unless like my local hotel group, having received a CP partly funded by Europe you can decide to exclude non residents at your choosing?

Advertisement