Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl -Camping Gas Burner

Options
  • 29-05-2015 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

I picked up a nice bargain in a Lidl bargain corner. I got a camping gas burner and 2 Butane cartridges for 10 euro.

Now I have never used these before and have no experience. Can anyone advise me as to how long they tend to last when switched on ?

It states that gas cartridges of a specific type are compatible. Are those types widely available outside of Lidl ? Lidl doesn't have them for sale all the time so can I pick them up elsewhere easily ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

throw up a picture of what you got because there are loads of different types. the gas cans can usually be got in any camping /outdoor shop or the likes of B&Q ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lidl have sold several gas stoves. The one which they do the same as Aldi which is a big square green job that takes what looks a bit like a spray can cartridge on its side can be a bit of a mixed blessing.

Anything like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Camping-Cooker-Cartridges-Refills/dp/B000RHV3MU ?

Handy enough stove but too bulky to backpack, small gas cartridge for its size and not well enough made to knock around for long in a vehicle. Looked after they are fine. Easy enough to stock up on cartridges which are a good point in a way as if you hunt around you can buy them cheaply in bulk.

If someone were to give me a brand new one I'd keep it indoors for emergency use.

Edit> No need to buy a specific make of cartridge if its the right size it will work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I'll try to put up a photo as soon as possible, hopefully in a few minutes. The Gas refill is a stubby small dome and the nozzle it flows through is not a replacement for a hob . It's just a single burner which sits on top of the small stubby gas dome. I imagine a larger frying pan would be very unstable on it.
    Since I bought it in Lidl , I have only seen aerosol type gas for sale there. I have not seen any of those small domes.

I have attached a photo of the stove to this message. What do you think about its usefulness ? How long do those Butane Gas cartridges last for ? For some reason I am not seeing them in Lidl lately. Instead I am seeing a sort of Butane aerosol can.
    This is portable enough to carry in a backpack in my opinion. I am wondering if theres any chance of finding it difficult to get replacement cartridges outside of Lidl or are they all standardised ?

Those are bog standard 190g "camping gaz bleuet" cartridges available worldwide. No reason whatsoever to buy the more expensive branded blue cartridges because its an international standard copied by everyone. Provided you keep them somewhere they won't rust they will last indefinitely. Normally cartridges contain butane but more and more contain a mix of butane and propane for use in colder conditions. Again you can use either

Locally the hardware shop and sports shop sell the cartridges. Hunt around and you can get generic no name brand ones for around €3.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention the run time. From memory we used to reckon to get about 90 mins out of a 190g cartridge (Advertising suggests 2 -2 1/2hrs). You may get more or less depending on how powerful that particular lidl burner is or if you use it turned down for simmering. Most people would use it up full for getting a brew.

Edit> For anyone thats interested some product details for Camping Stove BG 2010 and the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liamofT

I have one of these from lidl. Never used it But used similar campingaz stoves in past. I think my3cents correct on run times.
    Lidl advise type 200 canisters these are same as type c206 from campingaz
    See campingaz.com for more info.
    My dad had one of these in 70s so design is well out of patent at this stage so copies everywhere but Coleman's of sandyford stock them Coleman.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My mate has one in his camper van and it's his main cooker used a few times a week when he is surfing, very handy and compact. If the other type that is like a single hob in a case in my van, not great if your on the move but better imo if you have the space

I'm thinking about getting a stainless steel Kelly Kettle but am wondering about certain aspects of how it is used which I might start a thread about. For example, if you don't want to boil water, can you cook with it dry or is this bad for it ?

But I am very pleased with this purchase. if I'm dead tired after hours in the Kerry Mountains or whereever you cant beat the convenience of being able to switch this on and start cooking straight away.

is it true one canister can cook for 2 hours or is that wildly exaggerated ?

I'm thinking about getting a stainless steel Kelly Kettle but am wondering about certain aspects of how it is used which I might start a thread about. For example, if you don't want to boil water, can you cook with it dry or is this bad for it ?

But I am very pleased with this purchase. if I'm dead tired after hours in the Kerry Mountains or whereever you cant beat the convenience of being able to switch this on and start cooking straight away.

I have a Kelly Kettle great bit of kit but they have one use and thats boiling water. All the add on bits are really not worth carrying around. If you cook on the top of the kettle chimney you still need to be boiling water in the main kettle. If you are cooking on the base then you loose the effect of the kettle chimney and might as well cook on an modified tin can.

Edit> Sorry going off on a rant and forgetting the burn time question again. You have to under estimate because its difficult to stop in the middle of cooking to replace the cartridge and worse still if you run out altogether. I'd prefer to have gas left over rather than run out so I'd stick with my hour and a half. Output of that one is stated as about 1000W which is quite low so the given burn rate of 90 grams of fuel an hour probably stands up giving over two hours of burning at full output. So either the output of that stove is poor and it will have over 2hrs burn time or its better than stated in which case it will use the fuel quicker.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    I have a Kelly Kettle great bit of kit but they have one use and thats boiling water. All the add on bits are really not worth carrying around. If you cook on the top of the kettle chimney you still need to be boiling water in the main kettle. If you are cooking on the base then you loose the effect of the kettle chimney and might as well cook on an modified tin can.

Edit> Sorry going off on a rant and forgetting the burn time question again. You have to under estimate because its difficult to stop in the middle of cooking to replace the cartridge and worse still if you run out altogether. I'd prefer to have gas left over rather than run out so I'd stick with my hour and a half. Output of that one is stated as about 1000W which is quite low so the given burn rate of 90 grams of fuel an hour probably stands up giving over two hours of burning at full output. So either the output of that stove is poor and it will have over 2hrs burn time or its better than stated in which case it will use the fuel quicker.

I'd like to hear more. What you called a rant is gold to me. That was exactly what I was wondering about with the Kelly Kettle.

Cheers to everyone for the advice. Do I just screw that cartridge in until the seal pops or do I somehow pierce it first ? Theres no exposed connection valve on the cartridge and its covered with the skin of the outer surface. I'm itching to switch it on and test it but I dont want to do this before a planned expedition. I read that the cartridges store indefinitely but how well do they store after they become used ?

I'd like to hear more. What you called a rant is gold to me. That was exactly what I was wondering about with the Kelly Kettle.

Cheers to everyone for the advice. Do I just screw that cartridge in until the seal pops or do I somehow pierce it first ? Theres no exposed connection valve on the cartridge and its covered with the skin of the outer surface. I'm itching to switch it on and test it but I dont want to do this before a planned expedition. I read that the cartridges store indefinitely but how well do they store after they become used ?

You screw the case together with cartridge inside and the rubber seal mates with the top of the cartridge making a seal. As you continue tightening up the case the spike in the centre of the seal punctures the cartridge.

No reason you should loose any gas by installing a cartridge. You'll soon know if there is a problem with the seal because the gas has a smell added to it so you'll smell any leak. Over time say 5 - 10 years (often longer) the rubber seal will fail and you'll notice the leaking gas. But best stored long term without a cartridge installed.

While I wouldn't cook on a Kelly Kettle we are all different and some people do seem to like it. I wouldn't back pack a Kelly Kettle as its too bulky for my liking but if you are working out of a vehicle then it might be useful to have all the addons. I think of them more for use when out say fishing and you can make a brew for a group with nothing more than some driftwood twigs off the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

you can buy an attachment to just use the bottom of it as a stove and put a pot on it

thisi is it
    http://www.kellykettle.com/kettle-accessories/hobo-stove-large-fits-base-camp-scout-models.html

sheesh wrote: »
    you can buy an attachment to just use the bottom of it as a stove and put a pot on it

thisi is it
    http://www.kellykettle.com/kettle-accessories/hobo-stove-large-fits-base-camp-scout-models.html

If your really into the Kelly Kettle then thats a great idea but if you do away with the kettle part then the stove attachment gives you nothing more than a not that good way of burning solid fuel. The kettle creates a strong draft in its chimney making the burning much more efficient without the chimney its never going to be as good. You probably want to use the kettle first to boil water while stoking the fire up so you then have a decent hot fire to cook on. You'd have to be keen on using the Kelly Kettle before you'd bother trying that out. It might work out for some people but certainly not everyone.

You can even use the kettle part without anything else, just dig out a scrap or put a few stones together to pop it on and it will still work away.

I keep a Kelly Kettle so even if more convenient fuels like, gas, petrol and paraffin run out I have a back up. Its also handy for making a brew on the beach where fuel is plentiful. Its also a fun talking point to bring occasionally because surprisingly few people know what they are.

Some great information in this thread thanks.

Locally the hardware shop and sports shop sell the cartridges. Hunt around and you can get generic no name brand ones for around €3.

I was surprised to find the C 206 Gas Cannister branded Campingaz here for €2.63

http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/products/camping_equipment/trangia_,_stoves_,_gas

This seems very cheap compared to all the other prices I found

However even more surprising is to find a compatible cartridge quoted at €1.49 here

That seems ridiculously cheap http://www.partsformotorhomes.com/cadac-en417-standard-type-200-190g-gas-cartridge.html

Does anyone know if there are any performance differences between premium branded and lesser known branded cartridges ? Or have any experience of disappointment from one ?

There is a performance increase in the C206 because its a mix of butane and propane which will work outside in much colder temperatures and produce more heat than the C200 which is just plan butane. But on a cost bases the cheap generic butane cartridges are by far the best value. If stocking up get a few of the mix in case you want to use the stove in the winter when its near freezing or colder. Summer use just use the cheap butane c200's.

Lidl be praised. I am going to stock up Monday morning with 10 of these.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26811

Walter® Butane Gas Cartridge
    €1.99 per item
    Gas mixture: 97% Butane, 3% propane
    190g/330ml

This seems like a great price.

Nothing else that looks much good in Lidl's camping promotion but I'll see what the the sleeping bag liners are like as they might add a bit if extra warmth to the really cheap sleeping bags both Lidl and Aldi sell.

Nothing else that looks much good in Lidl's camping promotion but I'll see what the the sleeping bag liners are like as they might add a bit if extra warmth to the really cheap sleeping bags both Lidl and Aldi sell.

I need to stop compulsively wasting my money on stuff I already have. I think I'm going to get the Gas cartridges and leave it at that too. I don't have a sleeping bag liner though. What are the advantages of them ? cant you just throw your bag in the washing machine when you get home ?

I need to stop compulsively wasting my money on stuff I already have. I think I'm going to get the Gas cartridges and leave it at that too. I don't have a sleeping bag liner though. What are the advantages of them ? cant you just throw your bag in the washing machine when you get home ?

Any liner adds another layer of insulation around you but most of the cotton ones don't add much but these sounded like they could be a plush insulating material hence I'll take a look on Monday to see if they'll be any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 EoinFitz

Does anybody know if those gas cartridges in lidl will fit into a campingaz 206??

EoinFitz wrote: »
    Does anybody know if those gas cartridges in lidl will fit into a campingaz 206??

Same size, will work fine. There is now only one size of pierceable cartridge despite all the different brands you might see. Some have slightly different mixes of butane and propane or are just plane butane but they all fit and run in the same stoves. The more propane in the mix the better as then the stove will run in colder conditions. Outside on a freezing cold day a cartridge of pure butane may not even lite.

Advertisement