Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring a course

Options
  • 29-05-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hello,

I was just wondering if it's possible to attend the 1st year of college, defer for a year and then attend the 2nd year?

Edit: Just realised I made a spelling mistake, can someone change the title to deferring please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Yep, lots of people do it, take a year out for whatever reason, and return again the following year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, it's normally not an issue, unless (say) something very unusual like that's the last year that the college intends to offer that course, or something.

Anyone in that position should make sure to follow whatever the correct college procedure is for deferring, not just wander off and say to themselves "ah, sure I'll come back next year!" ... it will save them a lot of stress. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Thanks guys! Do you know if all colleges allow this?

And do you think it's a smart idea to defer after 1 year of college?

I've never come across anyone who's college refused them taking a year out, unless, as randy said, there is something specific that would prevent you.

I'm not sure why you want to take a year out after first year, but maybe you have your own reasons. Personally I would take the year out before starting college at all. Get your place in college and defer your place for a year. Leaving after first year would mean you'll have to "leave behind" all the friends you've made throughout the year.
    Anyway, there shouldn't be any problems, so if that's what you want them go for it. Make sure to go through the correct process for taking a year out when the time comes.

I was going to defer my course and then start my 1st year in 2016 as I am planning to get my leg amputated. However I was just informed that I am at the very bottom of the waiting list so there is a very good chance that my operation wouldn't be for a whole 'nother year.

I don't want to risk taking a year out only to find out I have to take another year out and end up starting college in 2017. But like you said, I'm worried that if I do start college this year and take a year out after that I'm going to leave behind my new friends and quite possibly forget most of the information that I learnt in 1st year.

Decisions, decisions... :P

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about your predicament, can't be easy for you! In that situation, then start college if you so wish. It depends on the course, but most will only examine what has been done in that academic year, ie you won't be examined on 1st year material in 2nd year. That's not every course, but a lot of them. If that was the scenario with your course, then it wouldn't be that difficult to settle in once again. It's easy make friends again, and those you will have already made friends with will stay by you.

Haha, naw it's fine! I'm looking forward to it actually. :P

Most of the courses that I put down on my CAO are nursing courses, so hopefully they'll be like that! I still have a lot to think about, but I'm probably going to start 1st year this year.

Thank you so much for your help!

Advertisement