Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe dental pain - what can i do between now and the morning?

Options
  • 29-05-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭

I am not looking for medical advice. I am looking for a short-term coping strategy.

I am due to get a root canal.

Over the last few weeks, pain has been building, to the point of needing occasional pain killers. Thursday saw me take 6 Panadol Extra, only for them not to be enough. Pharmacist has given me Solpadeine and I took two about an hour ago. Pain is still somewhere between intolerable and marginally homicidal.

I've emailed the dentist explaining the situation. What can I do between now and the morning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

For some toothaches clove oil can be soothing, other times cold water can help. Painkillers are your best course or antibiotics however hopefully the dentist can see you today and sort something out.

A bad toothache is one of the worst pains imaginable, my sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Panadol Extra didn't work. Went to pharmacy. Pharmacist gave me Solpadine. As I had just taken some Panadol, I didn't take the Solpadine. Went to bed at 8pm. Pain woke me at 11:30pm. Took Solpadine. Sent emails to dentist and dental hospital. Was still awake at 2am. Phoned A&E in main hospital. They told me to come in. Triage nurse gave me Tramadol. That reduced, but didn't stop the pain. Doctor gave prescription for more Tramadol. Went home to bed.

Got a call from dentist. Told they couldn't do anything, I'd have to wait for appointment in dental hospital. Dropped into A&E in dental hospital. They have no record of referral from dentist that was mean to be sent in November / December. Dentist's receptionist has fobbed me off several times over the last few months "you'll have to wait for your appointment in the dental hospital". Have offer of appointment with one of the practice's other dentists.
    For some toothaches clove oil can be soothing,
    I have an aversion to cloves since childhood. More psychological than physical.
    other times cold water can help.
    Cold is aggravating! :(:)
    Painkillers are your best course or antibiotics however hopefully the dentist can see you today and sort something out.
    No apparent infection, so I don't think anti-biotics would do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Solpadine & Nurofen+

2 different drugs so fine to take together

newbie2 wrote: »
    Nurofen+
    I have low level asthma, so they're reluctant to give me Neurofen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

have a few drinks maybe to kill the pain.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I have low level asthma, so they're reluctant to give me Neurofen.

Me too, but i trook that combination for several months before I had my dental work done.

roll the Dice IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I would seriously attempt to get over that clove aversion and pick up some clove oil before pharmacies close for the night. I had a similar problem a few years ago but not for as long as you thankfully. Clove oil is amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i remember alright one of my wisdom's was at me. the pain was unbearable. couldnt sleep.

Roquentin wrote: »
    have a few drinks maybe to kill the pain.

Alcohol and pain killers are a stupid combination. Harsh on your liver, compromises the painkiller and can kill.

And I don't drink.

seinfeld-George-Costanza-im-out-of-here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-345.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Victor, is there dental cover on your health insurance?

I had private cover on my health insurance and was waiting for a hospital appointment because it didn't occur to me that there was another option. There are private endodontists.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,387 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hot water with 2 tea spoons of salt and gargle around your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

You need an antibiotic to start fighting the infection. Try a doctor or failing that VHI swift care in Dundrum has a dentist there. No over the counter pain relief will help

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hot water with 2 tea spoons of salt and gargle around your mouth.

This worked for me tecently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I feel your pain victor. I had this pain a while back and it was friday evening when the pain hit really bad and had to wait till monday morning for an emergency extraction of the left lower molar. No sleep in almost 3 days with the pain, I was almost collapsing walking into the dentist.

I found that mixing 3 teaspoons of white salt into a half cup of luke-warm water and squishing it around the tooth for 5 minutes eased the pain for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

yes clove oil is great. Avoid sugar, especially cola.

To be honest, Clove-oil done nothing for me and I tried everything. The salt water trick always worked on the pain though.

The salt will kill any infection as well or abscess. I wouldn't bother with antibiotics, you took enough drugs already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Thing about Clove Oil is because it works locally you need to get it on or close to the source of the pain for it to work its magic, but it is potent stuff, so you need to be careful with it.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Thing about Clove Oil is because it works locally you need to get it on or close to the source of the pain for it to work its magic, but it is potent stuff, so you need to be careful with it.

Well in fairness to cloves - the solid clove... if you drop a solid clove into warm water to moisten it and then insert it directly into the top of the tooth while holding it in place with your other teeth, it will seep in there and should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

This thread is getting out of hand with random advice from random people about a tooth that no-one has seen or diagnosed in a patient who's medical history is unknown…..

Op, if you need a root canal as you say, then you have a dead tooth that is infected or dying tooth that is causing serious pain.

If it is a dead tooth that is infected then antibiotics would help
    If it is a dying tooth that is causing serious pain, then only a first stage root canal will help.
    Failing that, an extraction would treat both situations.

A dead and infected tooth is identified by a swelling in the gum and usually a pain when biting on the tooth.
    A dying tooth with serious pain is characterized by a dull throb, pain at night, long lingering pain….

See a dentist, its a bank holiday but some of the chains are open. Forget the dental hospital, you'll just waste your time trying to get an appointment there.

Good luck,
    OS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I agree with OS. Let's wrap this up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement