Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i think im close to the hobbridge chop!

Options
  • 28-05-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Going anon for this.
    So basically I'm on an internship with a company for a he past few months.
    The boss is grand most of the time but he's a bit of a hot head. I've seen his eff the heads of lads in the past. None of them stand up to him. So one day he came over to me and effed the head off me in front of everyone. He had asked meto survey up a few boundaries for a legal map, i did so but to be honest I missed a bit. (I'm a graduate since 2014 I'd never seen a legal map until I joined this place!) There was a more senior surveyor with me on the day, but seem as he asked me to do the job I was also in the firing line for the effin. Anyways, I stood up for myself as best I could, and tried to explain that I thought he wanted me to focus on the not so obvious boundaries round the site. That didnt go down well and we argued back and forth for about five mins or so.
    Anyways I thought that was the end of it, staff night out that night the boss was there, had a few brews and jobs a good un.
    The following Thursday there was a staff meeting in which he laid down the law apparently, saying junior members of staff were back chatting and he doesn't have time for it. I wasn't at the meeting as its for the senior members but today I came across the minutes taken from the meeting up on the company server.
    Apparently I have no 'go' and had a question mark over me as being long term. The 'honeymoon' period is over and I'm taking up too much time.
    A minutes from a few weeks prior said I was an all rounder compared to other juniors who only had 2-3 strengths, where I had a hape. I'll admit, I'm not too keen on dealing with clients but I'm happy to the 'donkey' work. As in surve up, draw up the drdrawings, get stuff prepared for the other lads.
    I'm not really sure what I'm after here! Am I being s bit petty or is this job bridge a bit of a piss take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

At the end of the day, You can walk out of that jobbridge anytime you want, I think if you're there long term like you mentioned above, could be time to find a different placement or start applying for real jobs?

I do love to that you stood up to your boss. I would just make sure you have someone else in the office to get a reference off.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

It reads to me that you are not the right fit for the company - I don't see how that makes jobbridge a pisstake in this particular instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd be all for defending yourself but it sounds to me like you might have overstepped the mark a little bit with a senior member of staff. If it's not to be at this company there'll be plenty of others out there that will take you on and your experience there will stand to you. Keep the head down until ya hear more. Ya never know how things will turn out with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The boss sounds like hes out for you now cause you gave him some back chat. Which is a bit stupid for a manager. Sadly some people just shouldnt be managers and usually only get the promotion on expansion, a good manager wouldnt invest in a heated exchange with a staff member, thats what team meetings are for.

Seems for the minitues to be more interested in fault finding than training people. Up to you if you wanna go, sure its only a jobs bridge. Pick up another one I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

When you make a mistake it's best not to get into a 5 minute argument with your boss. You were right to mention your concerns about the task, but should have left it there.

The boss as described seems too precious, but you'll cone across those in all walks of life not just jobs bridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement