Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 250 for fox

Options
  • 28-05-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I have seen a nice 22 250 that I would like to have. The only problem is i am not planning to use it on deer. It will be for foxes only. Anyone get a licence on this calibre for fox. South Tipp area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I know a few lads in Kildare and dublin with the for foxes, great round but imo too expensive for foxes. .223 all the way for foxes, half the price to shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

aaakev wrote: »
    I know a few lads in Kildare and dublin with the for foxes, great round but imo too expensive for foxes. .223 all the way for foxes, half the price to shoot
    I know it is more expensive to run alright but I would only be out once a week or sometimes every second week with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

kelslat wrote: »
    I know it is more expensive to run alright but I would only be out once a week or sometimes every second week with it.

LOL sure nobody can afford to go out every day with a rifle.

LOL sure nobody can afford to go out every day with a rifle.
    Ah yeah! But I can use the .22 lr on a few bunnys in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

kelslat wrote: »

An not too bad, luke i said great round! One of my mates changed to a 223 for that reason, he was going through a bix or more a week at one stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

aaakev wrote: »

True also ammo is getting more expensive and scarce because of the popularity
    of the 223, my advice stay away from it,you will find it hard to off load later,compared to a 223

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

The .22-250 is an almighty round , devastating on foxes... but youre very limited to ammo choice and its really not cheap...To be honest , look at the .223 Hornady 53g Superformance - the specs are very close to some loads available in .22-250 ! Thing is with the .223 , you can get lightning hot loads thatll bust a fox as far as you can shoot , then you can spend €10 on a box of 20 hollow points and punch a bit of paper ! Its very flexible like that ! I wouldnt swap mine for a .22-250 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Have a 22-250 myself as a pure foxing gun and its a super round...but im thinking strongly of putting it up for sale as I miss the cheap shooting of the 223 where I use to head down the bog on a sunday and bang away at targets and bottles of water a difference ranges.

If your not planning on firing alot of shots on a regular occurance than its the perfect fox round as its so flat, for example I have mine zeroed 1.5 inches high at 100 yards which means I never have to judge hold over at night on a fox if he is over 250 yards just aim slightly high on the kill zone and you'll have a dead fox

Ammo is not much dearer than the 223 premium stuff (hornady vmax, winchester silvertip, superformance) for instance 5 boxes of hornady 55 grain vmax @ €27 each. But one thing to consider is its a very hot round so if you go light barrelled gun after a 4 round group the barrell will need to be left to cool down

But definitely if you want a point and shoot gun where you dont want to be too concerned with bullet drop and not planning on machine gun style shooting its a ideal

Have a 22-250 myself as a pure foxing gun and its a super round...but im thinking strongly of putting it up for sale as I miss the cheap shooting of the 223 where I use to head down the bog on a sunday and bang away at targets and bottles of water a difference ranges.

If your not planning on firing alot of shots on a regular occurance than its the perfect fox round as its so flat, for example I have mine zeroed 1.5 inches high at 100 yards which means I never have to judge hold over at night on a fox if he is over 250 yards just aim slightly high on the kill zone and you'll have a dead fox

Ammo is not much dearer than the 223 premium stuff (hornady vmax, winchester silvertip, superformance) for instance 5 boxes of hornady 55 grain vmax @ €27 each. But one thing to consider is its a very hot round so if you go light barrelled gun after a 4 round group the barrell will need to be left to cool down

But definitely if you want a point and shoot gun where you dont want to be too concerned with bullet drop and not planning on machine gun style shooting its a ideal
    Thanks for the replays everybody. So basically the 22 250 is a great calibre for fox, as long as you don't keep shooting at bottles and targets, unless your a millionaire. The 223 sounds the business alright, ideal for fox and you can run cheaper ammunition through it for shooting at the bottles. The 22 250 I was looking at was sweet but I am still unsure if I could licence it for fox and not deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What has happened to the 17 hornet kelslat.

• Advertisement

What has happened to the 17 hornet kelslat.
    still have the 17 hornet, its a sweet little rifle, very accurate and nice to shoot. I have shot a lot of rabbits with it and only four foxes. If you dont hit the rabbit in the head it leaves a fair hole in them. i didnt shoot enough foxes to say how good it might be on them yet but the few i shot went down fast. mostly between 50 and 150 yards. one fox was shot behind the shoulder side on at about 70 yards and it did leave a small exit hole. the others were hit around the chest and i didnt see much of a mark on them. I dont have a moderator on it but it sounds much the same as a .22 hornet i think. After shooting a fox in one field i went to the next field ajoining it and seen a fox asleep in the middle of that field, so i dont think its too loud. I dont know how it will work on a windy night past 150 yards. I did see a couple of foxes out past the 200 yards but it was very windy and i didnt like to take a shot. If it was a calm night i think the .17 would still drop them. It costs about 27-28 euro for a box of 25.

Thanks for that Kelslat.Nice little bit of info on the 17 Hornet..

Thanks for that Kelslat.Nice little bit of info on the 17 Hornet..
    How's it going minktrapper,I was thinking you would be asking about it at some stage. Are you still thinking of getting one?

Waiting to licence a 20 gauge semiauto first.Will see after that.

Advertisement