Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support the fight against proposed reduction in air passenger rights

Options
  • 28-05-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

There is a significant threat to the regulation which allows passengers to pursue the airlines for compensation after delays (EU Reg 261).
    Consumer rights advocates all over Europe have come together to form a campaign group called Rightsonboard.org . They are trying to persuade the EU regulators to resist pressure from airlines to restrict passenger rights. If the airlines are successful, 90% of those currently eligible for payment will no longer be.

Under the current regulation, EC261/2004, passengers whose flights arrive at least 3 hours late are entitled to financial compensation. For a flight up to 1500km, the compensation is €250 per passenger; for longer distance flights this can increase up to €600.

Airlines now want to increase the delay time, from 3 hours to 5, before passengers are entitled to compensation.
    Also, if the airline says the delay is due to an "unexpected flight safety shortcoming" they say they should be exempt from having to pay compensation.

The EU Ministers for Transport will be meeting on June 11th to decide on this proposition.
    If you want to make your voice heard, please sign the Irish petition at
    change.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What do you see wrong about the increase in time and about unexpected flight safety shortcomings? Wouldn't you like to know that you are on a safe aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

smurfjed wrote: »
    What do you see wrong about the increase in time and about unexpected flight safety shortcomings?

There is a danger of airlines dressing up every delay as a safety issue in order to weasel out of paying compensation for delays - baggage door wouldn't close properly, steps wouldn't fold up and lock - that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

baggage door wouldn't close properly, steps wouldn't fold up and lock
    Wouldn't you consider those two items as legitimate safety issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

smurfjed wrote: »
    Wouldn't you consider those two items as legitimate safety issues?

Sorry, I meant to say that they would claim that they were the issues when the delay was actually a by-product of aggressive scheduling - one small delay early in the day leading to a knock-on effect of a longer delay later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vande

"one small delay early in the day leading to a knock-on effect of a longer delay later in the day. "

Exactly. I certainly used to find this towards the end of the day, and I think the public awareness of their right to claim compensation for unreasonable delays of over 3 hours has improved the airlines attitude to time-keeping, and to their customers.

I am certainly not saying I would prefer to fly in an unsafe aircraft than suffer a short delay.
    But three hours is quite long enough.
    Remember travellers are advised to arrive two hours before a flight. If this application by the airlines goes ahead the situation could be that they know the flight can be delayed (for whatever lie they can come up with) till just under the five hour point. Do you want to spend 7 hours at an airport waiting for a flight and have no comeback on the airline?

• Advertisement
Advertisement