Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a job, so bored

Options
  • 28-05-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I finished college two weeks ago and i am getting so bored. I have nothing to do with my day, and i don't start back until September. I can't get a job anywhere. I have applied for about 150 jobs this year in sales/retail/customer service and i got one interview in Centra, which went well, but someone with more experience was chosen. I have one year experience in retail which i did for myself as work experience so i have something on my CV.

I have no money to even do anything, and since i'm in college i can't even get the dole to support me over the summer. Its like you get punished for bettering yourself. I have friends who havn't worked or gone to college since we left school last year and they all get there €100 per week on the dole. They all have money to buy clothes and go out, but becasue i'm in college and unemployed I'm entitled to nothing.

Does anyone have any advice on how i go about getting a job for the summer. I need to get my self some money, and keep myself occupied.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Can you do anything with your cv to improve it and maybe get a better cover letter. Also its always a better idea to dress up a notch and walk into places with your cv. Try produce a targeted cv for the likes of hotel work, wedding season often means they bring in people for those days. Summer camps maybe? Keep trying. Maybe in the meantime check out some websites that you can do free courses on and add a few bits to your cv. Do some work on your fitness maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Volunteer. Go volunteer with Oxfam or one of the other charities. It'll keep you busy and look good on a CV for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Agree with volunteering. See if any local charity shops need help.
    I know it wont put money in your pocket but it would help with the summer/your cv plus would help you get personal recommendations for the future.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

could you do a CELTA course? Not cheap but if you got a loan to do one it would open up the possibility of teaching English over the next few summers, and it is well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

kylith wrote: »
    Volunteer. Go volunteer with Oxfam or one of the other charities. It'll keep you busy and look good on a CV for the future.

This is the advice I was going to give.

I went through a period of unemployment a few years ago and I decided to do some volunteering to get me out of the house.
    I used this website: http://www.volunteer.ie/ and found a place 2-3 days a week doing general office work for a local charity.
    I was free to use the PC as much as I wanted whilst there (when it was quiet) to work on my CV, look at jobs etc and the people I met were lovely, I really enjoyed it.

When I eventually got a job a few months later, my boss told me I was picked out over another girl who had a bit more experience, purely because he was impressed with my volunteering as he thought it showed I wasn't lazy and had actively sought to better myself even though I wasn't getting paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

I cant work for free as there are no shops there me and id have to pay to travel. I can't afford this as i need to be earning money.

Thanks for the replies.

I cant work for free as there are no shops there me and id have to pay to travel. I can't afford this as i need to be earning money.

You don't need shops to volunteer. Look on LinkedIn (I've seen numerous volunteer opportunities on there), on volunteer.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Thanks for the replies.

To be fair, if you're as bored as you say you are and you seriously want some experience for your CV then a few euro a day on a bus fare would be worth the money.
    Maybe you could offer to do some work around the house for your parents - grass cutting, window cleaning, paint the garden fence etc - and in return they might give you some money for the bus into town for a few days a week.
    If you have a student card I think you get a discount?

Also, some companies looking for volunteers might offer to cover travel expenses. Don't rule it out until you've looked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I finished college two weeks ago and i am getting so bored. I have nothing to do with my day, and i don't start back until September. I can't get a job anywhere. I have applied for about 150 jobs this year in sales/retail/customer service and i got one interview in Centra, which went well, but someone with more experience was chosen. I have one year experience in retail which i did for myself as work experience so i have something on my CV.

I have no money to even do anything, and since i'm in college i can't even get the dole to support me over the summer. Its like you get punished for bettering yourself. I have friends who havn't worked or gone to college since we left school last year and they all get there €100 per week on the dole. They all have money to buy clothes and go out, but becasue i'm in college and unemployed I'm entitled to nothing.

Does anyone have any advice on how i go about getting a job for the summer. I need to get my self some money, and keep myself occupied.

Thanks

I'm sorry you are in that position.
    Ask friends and family if they know anyone hiring. I think doing odd jobs etc is a start that is how I got started cleaning (eventually with a company) a few years ago. I didn't stay doing that you won't have to either.

Volunteering can look good on your C.V and get someone to look at it for. My father is now in HR and the quality of the best C.Vs in about two hundred can be both pretty high and at the opposite end of the spectrum pretty low. A certain percentage of a C.V is presentation. Get someone to look at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement