Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Bioengineering Masters

Options
  • 27-05-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, im a newly graduated bio pharmaceutical chemist from NUI Galway. I'm currently looking at the bioengineering masters in TCD. I was wondering would I be accepted into the course having came from a chemical background rather than an engineering background. I do enjoy maths but have never did anything above 1st year Calculus and Algebra. I have did relevant modules such as drug delivery, pharmacology, industrial biochem.

Next, the course is expensive so obviously, I am hoping to gain employment soon after graduating. What are the employment prospects from the masters and would it be difficult finding a job without the engineering foundation and no experience.

I'm still on the fence about applying and could just as likely take my degree and attempt to get stuck into QA/QC if I am fortunate.

Finally, I like the idea of living in Dublin, however from reading these forums, its seems that all the relevant companies ;ie: medtronic, are situated elsewhere. :/

Read somewhere that the matter hospital, Dublin coordinates with this masters?

All help appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Hi Cemic,

I was wondering if you ended up accepting a place in this MSc? I am in my final year of Immunology, so I come from a somewhat similar back ground to yourself. I am mainly interested in knowing if not having an engineering background has held you back or proved difficult?

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Hello!

I just wanted to try and get some more opinions about this masters programme and the possible employment opportunities upon graduation.

I am currently in my final year studying Immunology. I would like to make myself more suitable for the Biopharmaceutical/ medical devices industry which appears to be thriving in Ireland at the moment. I am also contemplating the new Biothearpaeutics & Business MSc run by UCD/ Smurfit Business School.

My major worry about Bioenginerring is that I would be coming from a science background instead of engineering. From an employment perspective, would people who are chartered engineers have a greater advantage?

I know the MSc in Smurfit is more directed at candidates like me, but I feel it might narrow me into QA/ QC roles and I am still unsure if I would like to carry out a PhD yet, and pursue a career in R & D.

Naturally coming from an immunology background I am interested in the Biomaterials aspect of Bioengineering. I feel that my knowlege of how the body reacts to intruders would be beneficial. I know that the Bioengineering masters in TCD allows 4 main streams. I would be most interested in the General stream and the Tissue Engineering stream. Would anyone have any experience from either of these streams?

I suppose the major questions I am asking is which of these Masters will give me the best employment prospects in the biopharmaceutical industry? And will I be penalised for not having an Engineering undergrad after doing the MSC IN bioengineering?

Sorry for the essay, any and all advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

MSc in Bioengineering (TCD) threads merged.

Advertisement