Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't apply for medical card without income...

Options
  • 28-05-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Okay, so recently I became quite sick due to a severe flare up of my colitis, forcing me to leave work. I've been recovering for roughly three months now and it will take at least another two before I'm ready to look for work again.

Up until now in my life I've always avoided any form of welfare, I absolutely hate the idea of accepting it. When unemployed I would just use my own savings rather than go near a dole office.

Even with my colitis and the small fortune I spend on medicines, doctors, and hospital visits, I've never applied for the medical card (which is tough when you're a recent college grad). I wanted nothing to do with it. Supports like that are for when people really need it.

But now I really could do with one myself... which I'm not happy about. My recent flare is costing me a lot, so many hospital visits, GP visits, blood tests, medicines...

So earlier today I went onto the HSE website to apply for the card. But it turns out that I'm not allowed to do so since I currently have no income! It's ridiculous! I have no income, am burning through my savings, and am being refused at the first step...

I called the HSE helpline to ask why and they said that I need to first have an income in order for them to perform a means test. So basically the only way for me to apply for a medical card is to first go on the dole or some other form of welfare! All I want is the card! I don't want the dole, disability, or anything like it! And it will only cost the State even more!

WHAT THE HELL?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Yes, medical cards are classed as 'secondary benefits'. Not that wise perhaps to be using up all your savings while you are ill if you can qualify for benefit or assistance payments thereby likely making you eligible for medical card. The stress of watching your savings dwindle is probably more stressful than going through the process of making a claim. Would think it best to claim, get your medical card, get well and go back to work. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Whilst your reticence regarding welfare is admirable it is very misguided.
    Are you aware that no PRSI is being credited for you while you are out of work and not claiming SW?
    This could prove a real nuisance down the line.
    Medical Cards are means tested. If uou can't provide evidence of means then your application can't be processed.

Advertisement