Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get wood for crafts

Options
  • 28-05-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey guys, hope this is the right place to put this.
    Anyway, I've been on the look out for a place to buy pieces of wood for crafts (rosewood, maple, coco bolo,etc) not just typical pine as it's not any use for what I'm doing.
    I've heard of molofskys but I'm not sure if they sell what I'm looking for. If anybody has ever been can they tell me what it's like?

So if anybody knows of a place it will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Jack0106 wrote: »
    Hey guys, hope this is the right place to put this.
    Anyway, I've been on the look out for a place to buy pieces of wood for crafts (rosewood, maple, coco bolo,etc) not just typical pine as it's not any use for what I'm doing.
    I've heard of molofskys but I'm not sure if they sell what I'm looking for. If anybody has ever been can they tell me what it's like?

So if anybody knows of a place it will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Jack

You will get maple in in the big chain stores like Chadwicks, Brooks and JP Corry as well as ash, walnut and occasionally beech. Trouble is you will need to buy a plank at a time. As for the tropical woods, The Carpentry store in Naas stocks some but if you just need small amounts I would search #bay.
    Brazilian rosewood is not longer available but there are substitutes.
    Id imagine turning blanks about 30 cm long would suit your needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Good selection in this place

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

Excellent, thanks lads just what I was looking for :) and would ordering from the UK BE EXPENsive considering the weight etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

From the UK, sterling is the hardest part, 140€ for 100£,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Jack0106 wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks lads just what I was looking for :) and would ordering from the UK BE EXPENsive considering the weight etc?

Tropical hardwoods are very scarce in Ireland - its mainly down to our almost non existent tradition of furniture making. You just have to factor in the overall cost of buying from the UK.
    You get good bargains off #bay and I tend to stock up as best I can using PM for convenience.
    If you are feeling adventurous take the car over to one of the UK woodworking shows. You will find a few stands selling great quality wood including tropical woods. Harrogate in November is one of the best.
    Lastly, I haven't visited the carpentry store in Naas. it would help if they put their prices on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/woodworkers-and-hobbies-supply-centre-dublin

1A Mt Tallent Ave
    Dublin 6w
    Harold's Cross
    Get Directions
    Phone number (01) 490 1968

Not sure what they stock !

Advertisement