Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncy Castles/ Trampolines

Options
  • 28-05-2015 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭

Saw this on thejournal.ie

Vhi SwiftCare Clinics alone treated over 200 patients for sprains etc last year. I haven't seen the stats in aggregate for injuries related to these things; but if that's how many Swiftcare see, then I would guess Temple St see a good deal more.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bouncy-castle-injuries-sprains-adults-alcohol-2129552-May2015/

I have to admit, I really really don't like Bouncy Castles, or for that matter Trampolines. I just think they are an accident waiting to happen and I cant relax when the kids are in them. The young kids want to jump on. The older kids are never supervised.

I also think they are a bit of a cop out by parents. Its your kids birthday party. Get a bouncy castle, let all the kids out on it, great we can kick back and relax now.

Am I alone on this? Both trampolines and bouncy castles are so popular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭skallywag

I agree that there is a risk associated with them, but I don't see it as something to overly worry about. I'm sure my child is also very likely to fall off her bike or from a climbing frame at the playground, or get a slap of a hurley etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not a fan of trampolines because they are permanent fixtures. Have seen absolutely loads of injuries even in my own circle of friends and family from them. Mostly fractures, but a pretty serious neck injury too. And when people go on them together, clunked heads. Ouch. There is a lack of supervision and they do more and more crazy things until someone gets hurt.

Bouncy castles are different because they are only there for a few hours and are easy enough to supervise for that time... Especially if it's a party and there are enough adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just imagine how parents felt when bicycles became popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Trampolines give me the horrors but only because I worked with a child with a lasting brain injury as a result of an accident on one. I think when my little girl is bigger then I will leave her on one but only supervised and if it's properly secured and enclosed. I do like Bouncy Castles and enjoyed them myself as a kid but I think I come from a vigilant family then because I don't remember ever just being completely left off to go mad on one. We had two at a recent family Communion party and while kids over 7/8ish seemed to be left off jumping mad in the bigger one all the smaller kids were supervised in the smaller one right next to it and the adults intervened if things got a bit crazy next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Spring free trampolines are so much safer. But as soon as you have more than one person using at a time, the risk of injury goes up due to collisions.

http://www.mommieswithstyle.com/springfree-trampolines-make-backyard-bouncing-safe/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Depraved wrote: »
    Spring free trampolines are so much safer. But as soon as you have more than one person using at a time, the risk of injury goes up due to collisions.

http://www.mommieswithstyle.com/springfree-trampolines-make-backyard-bouncing-safe/

Those look pretty good but the trampolines that you get in Argos eliminates the same risks. They are normal sprung trampolines but the safety netting is on the inside of the springs rather than the outside and the bars holding up the net are curved outwards so the bars are about a foot away from outside of the net. I decided to get one for my son as the risks with that kind are about the same if not less than the risk of him bouncing on the bed or couch.

He has some relatives with the Smyths kind and I'm not wild about him going on those ones at all. It's also pretty shocking how few people practice common sense with trampolines. I've witnessed two kids have a sword fight in a trampoline while the adult who was supervising them flung leather footballs over the net at them. I'm all for rough play but not on a trampoline.

With trampolines v bouncy castles I'd say trampolines are safer of the two as if you have one at home, your child uses it everyday and is less excited about it than the rare day they have a bouncy castle, so it's easier to lay down the rules. I can't imagine a one person bounces at a time rule would be remotely enforcable on a bouncy castle at a birthday party, whereas it's the standard rule for older kids as my house.

Advertisement