Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Leader position

Options
  • 27-05-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have been working in retail as a Sales Assistant for the past three years full-time. I love my job more than anything and love coming into work everyday as I want to progress into a managerial role in the future with retail.

I want a job as Team Leader, but most team leader jobs advertised are "leading a team/supervisory exp essential" which I don't have. Is there any point applying for these jobs as I don't have the experience or should I just chance it. As I said, I'm always looking for new opportunities to progress in my career.

Anyone who is a Team Leader in retail please share your story of how you got your current position. Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Work your way up is really the only way to do it tbh, get yourself a battlefield promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Speak to your manager, try and find a 'mentor'. Apply for everything that comes up, be mobile in your location, take on extra responsibility such as key holding etc.

The battlefield promotion is a point well made, but don't let yourself be a push over either. Get yourself into an acting role, positively effect the figures and present your case on why you should be given the role and pay increase. If it's not forthcoming present the same case to other perspective employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As above, make sure your manager is aware that you are interested in progressing within the company, any of the major retail companies will have a structure for supporting you.

Think of times where there's big changes to be done such as sale or new planagrams, if you care confident with certain parts, work with your manager to ensure tasks are completed and report back to your manger.

Show your manager you can be replied upon to ensure things are done right and that you can inspire others to work well with you.

Even if there are no position available within your place you can still get experience in a supervisors role with having a job title.

Advertisement