Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master in Education to lead to PhD

Options
  • 27-05-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me...

I have a Degree in Business Studies and want to do a Masters in Education. My motivation behind this is to gain knowledge in the fields of education policy, reform and financing. I would like to pursue this on to PhD level. I cannot go directly into a PhD as I would need some background information first before going into research. I am not in the field of Education, but have always had a personal love for the subject area.

I have been researching my options, but it all seems to be Masters for those already in education or those pursuing careers in teaching and I am divided in what I should do. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Lorraine_C wrote: »
    I have been researching my options, but it all seems to be Masters for those already in education or those pursuing careers in teaching and I am divided in what I should do. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Look into EdD (doctorate of education) programme - most universities do them. The taught component is essentially an MEd (but you generally don't get awarded it unless you withdraw from the programme).

My background is IT, I'm four years into mine and loving every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lorraine_C

Thanks Tom.

Where are you doing you MEd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.bath.ac.uk/ichem/research/doctoral-research.html

http://www.bath.ac.uk/management/dba/

The Dba Doctor of business administration in university of bath might be of interest.

Some links to the programme and research above.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/ichem/members/index.html#dba-alumni

Some more research topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Lorraine_C wrote: »
    Thanks Tom.

Where are you doing you MEd?

That's the thing - I've technically done an MEd, but I don't get awarded an MEd. All I'll get is a lousy EdD. :pac: During the taught component, we were in class with the MEd students. The taught component typically lasts two years and requires attendance at classes during the month of July. Which should suit most people who are currently working in education, don't know if that would suit you.

Anyway, I'm doing mine in the UK.

I've just done a quick search on Maynooth, UL and DCU and I can't seem to find their EdD programmes any more. When I was contemplating which course to do, I know for a fact that all three had EdD programmes. Perhaps they no longer do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

DCU have their EdD through Pats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Moody_mona wrote: »
    DCU have their EdD through Pats.

This one only runs every three years.

Advertisement