Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delaying start date, what to do?

Options
  • 27-05-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all! I'm in need of advice and I'll appreciate any piece given. Here is the story.

I have a part time job as store assistant with only 25 hours a week, so I started hunting for a new one. I applied for a role as shop assistant in a large and well known company and they invited me on an interview. 2 days later I got a call by the regional manager - she was one of the interviewers, telling me they are impressed with my interview and want to interview me for the role of shop manager. I was of course very happy, this would not only give me the opportunity to work full time, but the pay would be better. So after the interview process was over the HR asked for references. I provided them with 2 references and they followed up to the referees thoroughly. Few days later I got a call by the HR telling me it's a good news, I've been chosen for the role of the shop manager. Then the HR warned me not to give notice to my current employer yet, because the procedure with the lease of the new shop is not settled yet. This was on 7th of May. The HR told me it will take "2-3 days" and they will give me a heads up to give notice at work. In a week since I was not contacted yet, I wrote the HR an e-mail asking how are things moving along and when approximately to expect them to contact me. Early in the afternoon I got a call from the HR's assistant telling me "hopefully next week". That was on 15th of May. As you may be guessed by now I haven't gotten a call yet.

I'm wondering on what to do? Do I contact them again? I don't want to seem too pushy but also don't want to leave things like that for undefined period of time. What could take so long, is it possible for them to full me around? But why would they do that? The new shop that I should be working at is not yet listed in their's webpage, but that's may be because it is not open yet. I don't know what to think and what to do in this situation. I've been in Ireland nearly an year now and this would be my second job so I'm not super experienced with the etiquette. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A large and well-known company with four letters in their name, I assume?

My expectation there would be that while this is very annoying, it's probably all above board and innocent. They're doing you a favour by advising you to not hand in your notice until they have a start date for you, and I imagine this is something which happens with most new store openings.

Once a week, give the HR assistant a buzz to find out what the story is, in a nice friendly way. If they get pissed off, they'll tell you straight out that they will ring you when they have a firm date.

You could also make a guess at it yourself by going down to look at the new location. For example, ALDI are building a big shop in Terenure, which by my reckoning is 3-4 weeks away from building completion, after which you're looking at 2 weeks or so fitting out the shop, at which stage they'll start pulling staff in a week or two before opening. But until building is actually finished, it would be impossible for them to say for definite when they're going to open.

So if you went to look at the location you should be able to gauge somewhat in terms of how far they are away from opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SummerShine

Hey seamus, thanks for the advice. The four-letters company is where I work at the moment :) I don't think the new shop is in process of building and unfortunately I don't know the exact location. Only know it would be in Tallaght.

Anyway what you're saying is comforting. I'll give the assistant a call by the end of the week. Fingers crossed...

Thanks again, mate! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's usually something of a buzz when these things are announced.

If you google something like "new <company name> tallaght", you'll probably find something relevant.

Advertisement