Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snail Graveyard

Options
  • 27-05-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what might have happened here?

I was out exploring in my garden last night and our oil tank is propped up on concrete cavity blocks (3 high) where birds nest from time to time. One of my dogs was showing the area alot of attention so i decided to investigate to see if there were any nesting birds but i found this instead :eek: "The Snail Graveyard"

snails_zpsq6d7lksl.jpg

Someone has suggested a Wolf Spider?

I'm not worried just curious :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Could it simply be a bird who's been nesting there and eating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are they just empty shells, or are they snails which have drowned somehow? If there's rotting snails in there, believe me you'll know it, the stench will be unbelievable. My bet is on a bird using the hole as a dumping place for the empty shells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd be happy if a bird came along and took the snails in our garden away. Every night I throw the slimey buggers out for the birds, I won't use slug bait and Mr Pumpkinseeds would probably cry if I used beer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have no idea what a wolf spider is, but if it can eat that many snails, I think I'll raze the garden - just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

thanks everyone, probably is just birds using the block as a "pecking perch" and dumping ground. We do get a lot of small birds around our house, finches, tits, blackbirds, crows, sparrows, thrush etc. Loads of Sparrows nesting at the min, love them!

All the shells are empty, there certainly wasn't a smell as i got as close to the blocks as i could! Just a very curious sight lol

ShaShaBear - i'd never heard of a wolf spider either but i googled it and they are described as being like a tarantula but not quite as big (large brown hairy spider) *shudders* i don't even know if they are native to Ireland let alone back gardens in the "schticks"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

its most likely a favourite eating place for birds using something hard to crack the snail shells off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

kassie wrote: »
    thanks everyone, probably is just birds using the block as a "pecking perch" and dumping ground. We do get a lot of small birds around our house, finches, tits, blackbirds, crows, sparrows, thrush etc. Loads of Sparrows nesting at the min, love them!

All the shells are empty, there certainly wasn't a smell as i got as close to the blocks as i could! Just a very curious sight lol

ShaShaBear - i'd never heard of a wolf spider either but i googled it and they are described as being like a tarantula but not quite as big (large brown hairy spider) *shudders* i don't even know if they are native to Ireland let alone back gardens in the "schticks"

I wonder would it be dougals spider baby from father ted

Advertisement