Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nickname

Options
  • 27-05-2015 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hello, this is not exactly a genealogy question, but I hope someone here can help.

In researching my family tree, I came across a brother of my Great Grandfather who was named John, but had the nickname of 'The Shah'. I previously came across this nickname in John McGahern's book 'That They May Face The Rising Sun', so it may not be an uncommon one.

Would anyone had any thoughts on it's origin or meaning in an Irish context.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Any chance it might be to do with his 'wealth' e.g. the Shah of Iran? Maybe he came into money at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Boscod

Jellybaby, I was thinking along those lines as the character in the book I mentioned was quite well off. When my relation died, he had an interest in a house and some land, but little more. He had emigrated to the US and remained there for about ten years before returning home. Who knows what stories were spun about his perceived wealth, so perhaps this theory would apply to him.
    Thanks for your imput.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

His 'perceived wealth' is the thing. It can happen in families that everyone thinks someone is wealthy but in reality isn't. One of my family came into a few bob, around £300, many years ago. Some of her relations thought she had thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,155 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Boscod wrote: »
    Hello, this is not exactly a genealogy question, but I hope someone here can help.

In researching my family tree, I came across a brother of my Great Grandfather who was named John, but had the nickname of 'The Shah'. I previously came across this nickname in John McGahern's book 'That They May Face The Rising Sun', so it may not be an uncommon one.

Would anyone had any thoughts on it's origin or meaning in an Irish context.

Thanks for any help.
    "Sha" or "Cha" (spelling uncertain because rarely written down) used to be a common diminutive of "Seán". I would have associated it with Cork, but maybe it is more widespread. I note that your relative was called "John", so obviously Seán or Sha would be alternatives. And it's a short step from "Sha" to "the Shah". Could that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Boscod

Peregrinus, his nickname may very well have been spelt 'Sha', rather than 'Shah', That was simply my attempt at spelling it, and have never seen it written down anywhere. Whilst he lived in Dublin, I think what you are saying makes lots of sense, and probable as close as I'm going to get. His sister with whom he lived married a guy called 'Murphy' (good Cork name), and it's possible it was him who started it off.
    Many thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement