Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle AR Sport

Options
  • 26-05-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Has anyone here done this? I signed up because I love the jersey! The last time I was in Dingle was about 20 years ago and I have no idea what to expect with the route.

The hill run should be grand but what's the cycle like? Are there very steep descents? I can see from the course description the total gain and loss in height but not how it breaks down. What's the road surface like? Is there any risk of falling off into the sea??! Are there barriers?
    Any tips?! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Animella wrote: »
    Has anyone here done this? I signed up because I love the jersey! The last time I was in Dingle was about 20 years ago and I have no idea what to expect with the route.

The hill run should be grand but what's the cycle like? Are there very steep descents? I can see from the course description the total gain and loss in height but not how it breaks down. What's the road surface like? Is there any risk of falling off into the sea??! Are there barriers?
    Any tips?! Thanks

There is no risk of crashing off the descents and into the sea.
    Off cliffs and into lakes yes, the sea no.

The cycle out of dingle starts with a gradual climb, then into a rather steep and rather long climb. Good surface, lots of sheep. Summit often cloud covered. Descent is steep, windy and fast. One metre wall on the left separating the road from a severe drop, 3-4 metre rock outcroppings on the right with sharp edges. Either way you go down and leave the road it will be bad. So don't. After the descent off conor pass its rolling at worst.

Enjoy, great neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Thanks tunney. Eek! Are you talking about the Full cycle route though ? (she asks hopefully ) The cycle for Sport option goes round Slea Head - I don't think it includes the Connor Pass ? Please tell me it doesn't! .

Thanks tunney. Eek! Are you talking about the Full cycle route though ? (she asks hopefully ) The cycle for Sport option goes round Slea Head - I don't think it includes the Connor Pass ? Please tell me it doesn't! .

Ah right. I was talking the full.

The sport....
    Cheeky but short climb once you get over miltown bridge up past the graveyard (much harder if hammered and on a bmx). mostly flat back to ventry and another cheeky but short climb up past quinns pub. Few rollers and back onto the slea head route, it is mostly uphill and a 1m wall protecting you from the sea. Little no descending (bar gradual stuff). Coumeenole beach not too far from the end is the nicest beach I know. Worth coming back to.

To be honest its a nice cycle, road surface not as rolling as the conor pass one. Safe too.

tunney wrote: »
    Ah right. I was talking the full.

The sport....
    Cheeky but short climb once you get over miltown bridge up past the graveyard (much harder if hammered and on a bmx). mostly flat back to ventry and another cheeky but short climb up past quinns pub. Few rollers and back onto the slea head route, it is mostly uphill and a 1m wall protecting you from the sea. Little no descending (bar gradual stuff). Coumeenole beach not too far from the end is the nicest beach I know. Worth coming back to.

To be honest its a nice cycle, road surface not as rolling as the conor pass one. Safe too.

Phew! Thank you so much. . I don't mind the climbs but am a wuss on descents. It's my first time doing one of these outside Mayo/ Galway so really looking forward to it now.
    While we're at it , how does Mt Eagle compare to the Reek?

Phew! Thank you so much. . I don't mind the climbs but am a wuss on descents. It's my first time doing one of these outside Mayo/ Galway so really looking forward to it now.
    While we're at it , how does Mt Eagle compare to the Reek?

No idea what the Reek is sorry

• Advertisement

No idea what the Reek is sorry
    Croagh Patrick?

Croagh Patrick?

Fraid wrong side of the Shannon for me.

OK, sorry! You sounded like an authority so thought you might have done Gaelforce West or Sea2Summit.
    You should venture west sometime - the above and Achill Roar, Connemara Rough Diamond and Race2Glory Kiltimagh are all great events :-)
    Thanks for your help.

OK, sorry! You sounded like an authority so thought you might have done Gaelforce West or Sea2Summit.
    You should venture west sometime - the above and Achill Roar, Connemara Rough Diamond and Race2Glory Kiltimagh are all great events :-)
    Thanks for your help.

Never done an adventure race. Just know west kerry very very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Never done an adventure race. Just know west kerry very very well.

I'm working on this ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

AKW wrote: »
    I'm working on this ;)

I'd say you have your work cut out for you there :pac:

I'm wasting my time trying to sell the wonderful wilds of Mayo to him so?

Family from Mayo and Galway. Its more the adventure racing that might be the struggle ☺

Gonna lure him out to Achill for ROAR in September, slowly, slowly catchy monkey ;)

Gonna lure him out to Achill for ROAR in September, slowly, slowly catchy monkey ;)

Nice one :-)

Go for it tunney, you won't be sorry! Bit surprised you've never heard of " the Reek" if you have Mayo roots though?!

Had a laugh at your pop up shop at the Achill Roar last year AKW! Asked a question to the guy holding the fort minding the shoes to be told " God don't ask me, sure I only sell drink! Your man' s gone for a run!" He worked in the bar :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

I did the sport route last year as it was my first time time trying anything like this, the cycle around Slea head is a nice cycle, although you can get caught behind tourist buses as they try to negotiate around the tight turns. The road surface is ok BUT there is one turn where a waterfall crosses the road and the surface is ****e. There was a marshal there last year who will tell you which side to be on as your going across it (the right, I think)
    The pull up to the transition for Mt Eagle is steep but its only for a kilometer or there about. The run up Mt Eagle is a little bit steep at the start and at the top but it's fairly gradual for the most part. The decent on the second cycle is steep but its not too bad. If you can get your head up on the cycle around Slea head the views are amazing

Thanks r0n0c, great to have an idea what's in store. Looking forward to it now. Hopefully the weather will be OK for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

No worries, yea hopefully it'll be good weather for it. Last year the weather was great although it was cold dibbing in on top of Mt Eagle but back at the bike transition the sun was shining! There was a good crowd and good craic at the prize giving in An Canteen that night

What a fabulous event, still on a high after it. Pity about the kayak section being cancelled. At least it stayed dry and bright despite the wind so could enjoy the amazing views. Really well organised and I'll definitely be back. Happy to have my DAR jersey too : )
    Thanks for the advice on cycle route. That bit where the river goes over the road would have been a bit of a surprise if not expecting it!
    Poor marshals must have been frozen on the mountains.

Why was the kayak section cancelled?

Is this going to be the AR version of the triathlon swim? With kayak being one of my favourite sections I won't be happy if they are getting cut :(

I might have to do a 'Godel' on it ;)

• Advertisement

Is this going to be the AR version of the triathlon swim? With kayak being one of my favourite sections I won't be happy if they are getting cut :(

I used to do kayaking and kayaked in Dingle bay a good bit. If the wind is strong and coming from a particular direction the bay is very very rough, stupidly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

have seen achill roar kayak cut twice , be prepared !

I used to do kayaking and kayaked in Dingle bay a good bit. If the wind is strong and coming from a particular direction the bay is very very rough, stupidly so.

48189379.jpg

:D

Advertisement