Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Day Kit List

Options
  • 26-05-2015 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

The last race I did, packed everything into the car and headed off- minus my Garmin, elastics for the bike, and my trisuit (lucky I had a spare!). Anyway, that's not the first time its happened, I usually spend each car journey to a race with a nagging feeling I've left some piece of kit behind...

So I was wondering if we can use Boards collective knowledge to assemble a race kit list, something to glance at before you leave. Some items you can't race without, some items are good to have, some items might be bells and whistles; so I've listed them under three categories. Maybe people can add (or subtract) as they see fit, and we can come up with a useful list?*

*this is a Boards list, so no point in just linking to some other kit list ;)

Must bring these items
    TI Card
    Trisuit
    Wetsuit
    Goggles
    Cap
    Number
    Bike
    Helmet
    Bike shoes
    Running shoes
    ?

Should bring these items
    Spare goggles
    Spare cap
    Number belt
    Garmin/watch
    Elastics
    Towel
    Pump
    Bike multitool
    Nutrition/fluids
    Tubes/CO2
    ??

Could bring these items
    Talc
    Vaseline
    Alternate shading goggles
    Bandages/first aid
    ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Body glide
    Keypod
    Bidons with water
    Flipflops
    Post race grub

All optional extras I bring normally

EDIT: Things I don't bring but others I see do

Hat for running
    Arm/leg warmers

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Must Bring:
    Timimg chip (assuming reg was day before)

Should bring
    Ear plugs or blu tack (I need them)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

lists don't work for me.

seperate piles for each stage, pre race, swim, bike, run, post race. step from pile to pile, go though what you'd do at each stage and make sure it is there. then load directly into the bag

all the spares, hats, goggles, tubes, spare gels all stay in the bag for race season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Wear a pair of runners you can run in. That way when you leave your race runners in transition you can do a run warm up while your waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

mossym wrote: »
    lists don't work for me.

seperate piles for each stage, pre race, swim, bike, run, post race. step from pile to pile, go though what you'd do at each stage and make sure it is there. then load directly into the bag

all the spares, hats, goggles, tubes, spare gels all stay in the bag for race season.

That's the pre leaving the house plan that I would normally go with as well.
    Still usually forget something maybe I need a list after all lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    The last race I did, packed everything into the car and headed off- minus my Garmin, elastics for the bike, and my trisuit (lucky I had a spare!). Anyway, that's not the first time its happened, I usually spend each car journey to a race with a nagging feeling I've left some piece of kit behind...

So I was wondering if we can use Boards collective knowledge to assemble a race kit list, something to glance at before you leave. Some items you can't race without, some items are good to have, some items might be bells and whistles; so I've listed them under three categories. Maybe people can add (or subtract) as they see fit, and we can come up with a useful list?*

*this is a Boards list, so no point in just linking to some other kit list ;)

Must bring these items
    TI Card
    Trisuit
    Wetsuit
    Goggles
    Cap
    Number
    Bike
    Helmet
    Bike shoes
    Running shoes
    ?

Should bring these items
    Spare goggles
    Spare cap
    Number belt
    Garmin/watch
    Elastics
    Towel
    Pump
    Bike multitool
    Nutrition/fluids
    Tubes/CO2
    ??

Could bring these items
    Talc
    Vaseline
    Alternate shading goggles
    Bandages/first aid
    ???

You forgot
    • Small violin for when the swim gets shortened

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Lay it all out 2 days in advance (at least) and visualise the race. You will find very quickly if you have all the gear you need or not.

Anything that doesn't fit into 4 big boxes and onto a parcel shelf is probably not needed anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Bog Roll. Never leave without it. Nothing worse than heading for your last pre match poo and there is no jax roll left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Bog Roll. Never leave without it. Nothing worse than heading for your last pre match poo and there is no jax roll left.

There is something worse. There is some bog roll but its damp......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I also include water, oat cakes, peanut butter, a knife and an apple when I'm travelling to a race. Around 2 hours before race start I usually have some oat cakes with peanut butter followed by an apple. I sip the water en route.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    I also include water, oat cakes, peanut butter, a knife and an apple when I'm travelling to a race. Around 2 hours before race start I usually have some oat cakes with peanut butter followed by an apple. I sip the water en route.

Whats the knife for? You must be racing in some dodgy spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Whats the knife for? You must be racing in some dodgy spots.

lol......to spread the peanut butter :D

Ah, ill put the machete back in the shed so.

What about Allen Keys, they are always handy if something needs a nip or your cleats are a bit loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

It gets slagged off but as a well meaning present it beats 'we never know what to get you so here's another bottle'
    And the back of the car has never looked cleaner
    The inside of my bag has a handy checklist. Must tipp-ex bog roll onto it though

tribag50.jpg

(Standing by for the carrier bag comparisons)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Don't the razor to shave off those extra few seconds :P

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This is the first time I realised zoot reads the same upside down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Oryx wrote: »
    This is the first time I realised zoot reads the same upside down. :)

I've had a Zoot wetsuit for 8 years and never noticed.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

tunney wrote: »
    You forgot
    • Small violin for when the swim gets shortened

This actually brings tears to my eyes. Nothing worse.

Do people tend to bring the usual bike repair stuff for short distances (spare tube, CO2, levers etc. I always have before now, however I am thinking if I have to stop to change a tube then I might aswell pack up and go home anyway due to time lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Don't the razor to shave off those extra few seconds :P

Jest not!

http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/are-you-more-aero-and-faster-with-shaved-legs-these-wind-tunnel-results-are-staggering/

50 seconds over 40k

JohnBee wrote: »
    This actually brings tears to my eyes. Nothing worse.

Do people tend to bring the usual bike repair stuff for short distances (spare tube, CO2, levers etc. I always have before now, however I am thinking if I have to stop to change a tube then I might aswell pack up and go home anyway due to time lost!

That would be my take on it. Also whats the point paying a fortune to get a few kgs off the weight of you bike only to load it with pumps, tubes and tire levers. The same could be said about over filling your water bottle or even having one at all for sprints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

That would be my take on it. Also whats the point paying a fortune to get a few kgs off the weight of you bike only to load it with pumps, tubes and tire levers. The same could be said about over filling your water bottle or even having one at all for sprints.

Agree, I am seriously gonna cut everything down!

Of course, it IS a sprint distance. Therefore I will have about 6 gels, jellybeans, caffeine shots etc secured to my top tube to ensure optimum carbohydrate status :O

Advertisement