Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resitting a single subject?

Options
  • 26-05-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I know I should be trying to stay positive, but I can't shake the feeling that I won't make the entry requirement for my chosen course, so I would like to know whether I can resit a single subject to get the requirement and if so, can you attend other courses and such while doing so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

AFAIK if you want to repeat a subject the following year you can, but it can't be used for points with your leaving cert. It can only be used for entry requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Confused2015

Nope, points from one leaving cert sitting only will be taken into account, so you would have to repeat an entire 6 subjects to get the points.However if you apply in the noth/England for a course that reuires grades then you can resit just the subjects that you didnt get the required grades in .. It sucks I know :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Entry requirements can be from multiple sittings but points have to come from one single sitting. So if you fail a subject this year that you needed for the course, you can repeat that subject alone next year and qualify for the course provided you have the min points from one sitting (i.e. your first time). Your grade from the repeat exam will not change your points from the first sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jayjay95

I'm really confused. I did extremely bad in my last leaving cert. only passing two. I am now repeating but can I carry the last two I passed and just do 3 other subjects to have a passed leaving cert that's all I'm looking for? Please help.

Threads merged

• Advertisement

Nim wrote: »
    Threads merged
    So If I have two passed in my last leaving cert and I do 3 this year and combine them as a passed leaving cert ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jayjay95 wrote: »
    So If I have two passed in my last leaving cert and I do 3 this year and combine them as a passed leaving cert ?
    It depends on what you want it for really; it won't do much good tho if you're hoping to go to college for example. That may not be on your mind just now, but you could change your mind next year ...

It depends on what you want it for really; it won't do much good tho if you're hoping to go to college for example. That may not be on your mind just now, but you could change your mind next year ...

I just want to have a passed leaving cert. so would that count ? I am planning on going back to college as a mature student in the future. But for now I would like just to have a passed leaving.

I just want to have a passed leaving cert. so would that count ? I am planning on going back to college as a mature student in the future. But for now I would like just to have a passed leaving.
    There really isn't any such thing as a "passed" LC any more in any real sense.

If you pass 2 + 3 subjects you will have passed 5 LC subjects. You have as much right to say you passed your LC as anyone else.

There really isn't any such thing as a "passed" LC any more in any real sense.

If you pass 2 + 3 subjects you will have passed 5 LC subjects. You have as much right to say you passed your LC as anyone else.

Thank you. Just needed to know before I sit 3 subjects instead of 6

• Advertisement

Thank you. Just needed to know before I sit 3 subjects instead of 6
    If you've worked at 6 all year, do you really want to give up on 3 now tho?

If you've worked at 6 all year, do you really want to give up on 3 now tho?

That's the thing I haven't worked at all unfortunately :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's the thing I haven't worked at all unfortunately :(

If any of the six had a practical/project/essay/oral element, it's still worth sitting them as you are not starting off at 0%. Unless of course you didn't do that element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

@Jayjay95 I think it would be advisable for you to try to pass all your subjects in a single sitting, because that way you'll have a single certificate showing all your results. If you intend to repeat the subjects at higher or ordinary level, you might consider sitting a further three at foundation level just so you have a complete certificate. You say you have passed two subjects and would like to repeat a further three, but most people would consider a complete leaving cert to be passes in six subjects.

qweerty wrote: »
    @Jayjay95 I think it would be advisable for you to try to pass all your subjects in a single sitting, because that way you'll have a single certificate showing all your results. If you intend to repeat the subjects at higher or ordinary level, you might consider sitting a further three at foundation level just so you have a complete certificate. You say you have passed two subjects and would like to repeat a further three, but most people would consider a complete leaving cert to be passes in six subjects.

But I don't think I will pass all 6 subjects. ? That why I wanted to just reapet three just to have a passed leaving ? Does that count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If someone was to fail maths, and miss their entry requirement for French, could they sit just maths and French the following year to carry the old points, and count as a passed leaving? Or is the first year null as maths was failed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

But I don't think I will pass all 6 subjects. ? That why I wanted to just reapet three just to have a passed leaving ? Does that count ?

As randylonghorn said, there isn't really an accepted definition for passing a leaving cert, so it depends on what the college you'll apply to wants. Trinity, for instance, requires (before considering your points score) that you have passed a minimum of three higher and three ordinary subjects, and those passes can be from different sittings. So, I imagine it would be okay for you to only repeat three subjects. But you should definitely check the minimum requirements for the type of college course you intent to do.

If someone was to fail maths, and miss their entry requirement for French, could they sit just maths and French the following year to carry the old points, and count as a passed leaving? Or is the first year null as maths was failed?

From Trinity's admissions: "Students may combine grades achieved in different sittings of their Leaving Certificate for the purpose of satisfying minimum entry and course requirements..."

If you sit the lc multiple times, your highest points total from a single sitting will be used - i.e. if you got 400 last year and 390 next year, last year's points score would still be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Confused2015

Yes you can just resit the subjects you have failed and have a passed leaving cert

If you decide to repeat you can talk to your career guidance teacher before deciding which subjects you are going to repeat just to be sure if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm asking for someone having a total ****fut about maths next week :pac: I'll pass it on, thanks guys :)

They can resit Maths and French to meet the entry requirements but it will not bring up their points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement