Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Duties Teacher - recommendation on time per week?

Options
  • 26-05-2015 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

There used to be a recommendation for B posts on the TUI or ASTI site but I can't find any reference to it now.

Is it 2 hours per weeks?
    Anybody got a link to any circulars etc where time is mentioned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

It's not in voluntary secondary schools. There is no hour reductions for post holders. It is the the ETB system where A post holders have 18 hours and B post holders have 20..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

ccazza wrote: »
    It's not in voluntary secondary schools. There is no hour reductions for post holders. It is the the ETB system where A post holders have 18 hours and B post holders have 20..

No reduction for B post holders in ETB's. You are expected to spend 2 hours a week during the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

katydid wrote: »
    No reduction for B post holders in ETB's. You are expected to spend 2 hours a week doing the work.

I think its hard to put a number on it like that. Some weeks will be busier than others.

At two hours per week you're talking 66 hours per year. For nearly 4 grand!! Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Sorry, I wasn't v clear I knew there was no reduction in class contact time, was wondering what the guide was on the amount of time it should take you to complete your duties, on average, each week.

2 hours is what I always remember ut can't find it written anywhere.

I think its hard to put a number on it like that. Some weeks will be busier than others.

At two hours per week you're talking 66 hours per year. For nearly 4 grand!! Yes please.

Well, that's the average. You should keep a rough record and if you are doing way more than two a week you should go to your principal and re-negotiate your post.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I wasn't v clear I knew there was no reduction in class contact time, was wondering what the guide was on the amount of time it should take you to complete your duties, on average, each week.

2 hours is what I always remember ut can't find it written anywhere.

I can't find the circular either, but I'm 100% sure it's 2 hours

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm a special duties teacher at primary level, and there's no way that I'd get everything covered in two hours a week.

Are post primary special duties teacher expected to have pastoral, curricular and administrative duties also?

Most in my school wouldn't get it done in 2 hours dambarude, some don't do half an hour though, while others are snowed under with 10 hours work.

I was just looking for the official recommendation though.

Most in my school wouldn't get it done in 2 hours dambarude, some don't do half an hour though, while others are snowed under with 10 hours work.

I was just looking for the official recommendation though.
    People who are doing way over the two hours they are supposed to do should keep a note of their hours, and bring it to management with a demand to have their post looked at. Why should anyone be giving their own free time to anything to do with their teaching job when so much has been taken from us and we have been slapped in the fact with the insult of CP hours?

Teachers don't stand up for themselves enough

katydid - I'm of the same mind but it can't be brought to management without the official recommendation doc, that's why I'm looking for it in hard print.

• Advertisement

katydid - I'm of the same mind but it can't be brought to management without the official recommendation doc, that's why I'm looking for it in hard print.

Why don't you email your union?

The problem is that even with this knowledge, some of your colleagues will still do way more than they should be doing.

Advertisement