Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet for Kids

Options
  • 26-05-2015 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

i've been toying with the idea for a while now of getting a relatively inexpensive tablet for a 6 year old and a 4 year old.

they currently have infrequent use of an ipad and as with most children, know there way around it extremely well.

we will be taking a few long journeys this year so ive decided to look into the possibility of getting them a tablet each.

they aren't familiar with android but I don't have any concerns about learning how to use it.

budget ideally would be in or around the €100 mark.

i've looked at a few of the children specific devices and i really dont know whether to go with them or simply a low cost android tablet.

can anyone make any recommendations please?
    I've done hours of research but am still none the wiser!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

FWIW I bought a Lenovo Yoga 8 for my 8yr old, the shape of the Yoga lends itself to small hands gripping it more easily and the battery life is good because of the size of it.
    They aren't the cheapest and I would recommend getting some kind of cover for it as well, in order to protect it from the inevitable knocks.
    Argos had them before xmas for reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi Retailer.

Did you buy yet?
    "relatively inexpensive tablet" is probably the way to go.
    I recently got a Lenovo 10.1 from Argos - its great for Netflix, RTE Player and other video playing apps.
    DID had an offer on a Hannspree 10.1, and Harvey Norman have a range of GoTabs. PowerCity & PC World also have a few offers.

Are you looking at 7" or larger?
    (We already have a Samsung Tab 7" & several Smart Phones (HTC One, M8s etc), so I wanted something a bit larger (9-10 inch)

A lot of reviews are comparing the Budget tablets with the high spec offerings from Apple & Samsung (a bit unfair and like comparing a new merc with the new fiesta - there are going to be quality differences and your paying for them)

Refurbished iPads might also be an option for you, but Android is really no different than Apple OS and can be become second nature.

Hope you get a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

ive just purchased a kindle fire hdx 7" for 100 pound from amazon.

the quality of this tablet is fabulous. because its a kindle you sideload any apps that you want to install, as the default app store is the amazon one. theres not rreally any other negative i can find.

its twice the tablet of anything in that price range.

X

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    £102.50

Advertisement