Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First transatlantic flight queries

Options
  • 26-05-2015 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am flying from Dublin to Heathrow and connecting there for San Francisco.

I never done a connecting flight or a transatlantic flight so I am wondering about the following:

-Do I check my bags in as normal in Dublin with Aer Lingus?

-Once my bags are checked in is the next place I see them San Fran?

-How long do I need to be in Dublin airport before flying ?

Anything else I should know?

Kind regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

athtrasna wrote: »
    If your flights are on a single booking you check them in in Dublin and see them next in San Francisco.

Have you completed an Esta application?

Advised time in Dublin is three hours before your flight. Delays at security and US customs and immigration are common.

OP will not do US immigration in Dublin. Two hours before departure should be sufficient to arrive at the terminal, no more than for any flight to LHR with bag(s) to check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

athtrasna wrote: »
    If your flights are on a single booking you check them in in Dublin and see them next in San Francisco.

Have you completed an Esta application?

Advised time in Dublin is three hours before your flight. Delays at security and US customs and immigration are common.

I don't think this is correct as the OP is not flying direct from Ireland to US but London so it's just a normal London flight with normal US immigration on arrival.

When I've gone through US pre-clearance you're then straight into the area with departure gates for US flights only so don't see how you can back out for a London flight.

Open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

2 hours will be fine. The OP does not need additional time to go thru US Customs and Immigration in Dublin, as they are flying to London first. You only pre clear US customs and immigration in Dublin, if you are flying directly from Ireland to the US. The OP is not doing that. They are flying to the UK first.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

Thanks for all the replies. Great information.

I have completed esta and got accepted . do I just leave it at that then ? No print outs etc. ?

So the gist of what I'm getting is that I don't do US immigration at Dublin beaches it is not a direct flight.

I fly to London Heathrow as if it is my final destination.

What happens when I get to Heathrow then ? Is it easy follow for connecting flights ? Do I go through customs again ?

Cheers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I have completed esta and got accepted . do I just leave it at that then ? No print outs etc. ?

So the gist of what I'm getting is that I don't do US immigration at Dublin beaches it is not a direct flight.

What happens when I get to Heathrow then ? Is it easy follow for connecting flights ? Do I go through customs again ?

Cheers .

Yup I've connected in Heathrow coming back, and it's crystal clear. I checked with the transfer desk for BA (thank **** I did) because I hadn't been checked in for both legs of the flight, despite the fact that I wouldn't have gone near a check in desk otherwise :rolleyes:. So maybe do that (unless you're doing online check ins for your trip, then you'll know yourself).

• Advertisement

Cheers .

Print out everything you can - including your tickets and return ticket, any accommodation reservations you have and (if you are travelling on business) anything that confirms that.

Get the wrong person on the wrong day at US immigration and it can be a pain in the arse. "My return ticket is on the internet" is not an answer they accept or have to accept - their default position is that you are an illegal immigrant...

OK normally it is smooth (especially in Dublin) but arriving in SF and spending an hour or worse arguing with immigration is not what you want to be doing getting off a 12 hour flight.

No problems on the way back.

Oh and once you've arrived, don't call it "San Fran"! That's a quick way to wind up the locals...

Jezzz.. San Fran sounds like a torture to get through.

I have return flight for two weeks time. I'll have all that.

However I have no bank statement ?

Also could I argue that 600/700 euro is enough for two weeks holiday ?

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Yup I've connected in Heathrow coming back, and it's crystal clear. I checked with the transfer desk for BA (thank **** I did) because I hadn't been checked in for both legs of the flight, despite the fact that I wouldn't have gone near a check in desk otherwise :rolleyes:. So maybe do that (unless you're doing online check ins for your trip, then you'll know yourself).

I just checked myself here with Virgin to check in online for my connecting journey from Heathrow and it does't let me check in online for some reason. What would I do about that?! Check in, in Heathrow?

EDIT: Working now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Apologies, I missed the Heathrow mention

• Advertisement

Jezzz.. San Fran sounds like a torture to get through.

I have return flight for two weeks time. I'll have all that.

However I have no bank statement ?

Also could I argue that 600/700 euro is enough for two weeks holiday ?

It is usually fine but they can be difficult. Just be prepared is all. To state the obvious, it's no good having the stuff in your check-in bag - you don't get that until after immigration.

It is usually fine but they can be difficult. Just be prepared is all. To state the obvious, it's no good having the stuff in your check-in bag - you don't get that until after immigration.

Well the way it is, say I have 1000euro with proof, printed return tickets, and know where I am staying for the two weeks.

What problem can they have?

Cheers for good advice also.

Well the way it is, say I have 1000euro with proof, printed return tickets, and know where I am staying for the two weeks.

What problem can they have?

Cheers for good advice also.

They can just decide they don't believe you, but that's unlikely, and much more unlikely if you have all your stuff in order.

You will be fine! Anyway the worst that can realistically happen is a delay, they aren't going to send you back home.

OP, one less thing to worry about - the US immigration website explicitly says that it is not necessary to print out the ESTA approval. When the immigration agent enters your Irish passport number into the system, the approval will come up on the screen. No amount of paperwork will get you through if it's not on the system.

As already mentioned, don't bring fruit into the US - pest control and all that.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, one less thing to worry about - the US immigration website explicitly says that it is not necessary to print out the ESTA approval. When the immigration agent enters your Irish passport number into the system, the approval will come up on the screen. No amount of paperwork will get you through if it's not on the system.

As already mentioned, don't bring fruit into the US - pest control and all that.

sorry - you are right, I wasn't referring to the ESTA, that's either on the passport or not. but everything else have with you.

Great news. Thanks for all the detailed replies.

So basically, I am flying to London Heathrow as a normal flight (no Immigration in Dublin), check my bag in and its taken care of its self until San Francisco, follow through to connect to my flight at LHR.

Have bank statements and return flight ticket printed off and Ill have details of where I am staying printed.

Is there anything else then?

Is there anything else then?

Yes, don't assume that you will get treated like a terror suspect. People on boards are always keen to share their bad experiences, I have never had any with US immigration.

Don't hurl a load of paperwork (hotel reservation, bank statements etc.) at the agent if they don't ask for it, just be calm and polite (Sir/Ma'am) and answer questions put to you in a matter of fact way without giving too much information - they don't want your life story.

By all means have that stuff in your hands but don't offer it if it isn't asked for, your passport and a calm pleasant disposition is usually enough to get you through. Your body language is more important than the paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Oh and once you've arrived, don't call it "San Fran"! That's a quick way to wind up the locals...

And 'Frisco' which they hate. Bay Area or San Francisco are best.

I had zero problem getting through immigration at SFO in with an American-Asian guard and even ending up having a bit of a laugh over the Hangover and Vegas. It took about 15 minutes including queuing at around 2pm local (not busy). However always answer their questions briefly, with confidence and without volunteering any extra info, and never try banter or jokes unless they initiate and even then be careful. They are looking for specific body language/speech clues so it's best to answer clearly and with confidence unless and even if you are familiar with the poker-like tells.

Also in Heathrow, depending on your available transfer time, don't hang around much and get to your terminal in good time just in case there's some failure or extra security queues which are possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Did you book both flights together?

If so, your bags will be checked through. If you booked the Aer Lingus flight separetly to the Virgin flight your bags will not be checked through.

January wrote: »

If so, your bags will be checked through. If you booked the Aer Lingus flight separetly to the Virgin flight your bags will not be checked through.

yeah i booked them together. That's that sorted so ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

tricky D wrote: »
    And 'Frisco' which they hate. Bay Area or San Francisco are best.

I had zero problem getting through immigration at SFO in with an American-Asian guard and even ending up having a bit of a laugh over the Hangover and Vegas. It took about 15 minutes including queuing at around 2pm local (not busy). However always answer their questions briefly, with confidence and without volunteering any extra info, and never try banter or jokes unless they initiate and even then be careful. They are looking for specific body language/speech clues so it's best to answer clearly and with confidence unless and even if you are familiar with the poker-like tells.

Also in Heathrow, depending on your available transfer time, don't hang around much and get to your terminal in good time just in case there's some failure or extra security queues which are possible.

I go through customs and immigration in SF at least 6 times a year and have never had any issues. For one thing, the Europe and Asian flights arrive at different times of the day so the queues move really quickly - 15-20 minutes maximum - your bags are usually waiting for you when you get through immigration. Customs, the guys will just take your form and you'll be on your way.

The guards there are really polite, i have never had one issue going through either on ESTA or on my visa (will find out in 2 weeks on a green card :D)

Also...if there one thing you take from this thread....don't call it San Fran, Frisco or any variation. It'll wind people up no end. It's "SF" or "the city".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Also just so you are not surprised, they take your photo, and also your finger prints, and will also bring up a pic on the screen of your bags. They'll also ask you the standard weapons/ food/ cash questions.

You'll be given a blue form to fill out on the plane, you'll need your flight number, where you are staying, and passport number to put on it. Bring a pen!

We just got back on Sunday, transferred through Washington and they handed out the forms. All fine and dandy until we arrive at customs and they have machines for you to type all the bloody info into /take pic/ finger print/ scan passport etc and then another bloody queue for the guy to ask you the same questions again! Pain in the face!

The reason I prob will stand out some-what is that this time of year loads of students go on J1's and then I am going on a holiday for two weeks so I will be prime suspect!

Thanks iusedtoknow and dori_dormer for detailed inputs!

I have what I have in order now so lets see how it goes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Why do some of you bring bank statements?

January wrote: »

damianmcr wrote: »

Immigration want some people to prove they have enough money to pay for their holiday. Basically if I have 200euro for a months holiday, I am prob' going trying to work in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

damianmcr wrote: »

It proves that you have enough money in your account to support yourself while you are in the US, so that you won't need to look for work illegally. It can't hurt to have it on you, but I would be surprised if the OP is asked to produce it, seeing as he is only going over there for the time frame of the bog standard holiday. They don't really expect people to have huge amounts of money on them for a two week holiday. But if the OP was heading to the US for months, he probably would be asked to produce proof of funds.

OP, you won't be a prime suspect at all, quite the opposite in fact. Going to the US on a J1 may be a very Irish thing to do, but you aren't flying to the US from Ireland. You are flying there via the UK & there will be a wide variety of nationalities on the flight. You may very well be the only Irish person on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Heading to SF via Heathrow myself shortly for a 2 week holiday..

DUB-LON lands at 9am in T3, and LON-SFO takes off at 11.50am from T5. I wasn't given any warnings at booking time saying time might be tight, but I know how Heathrow can be. This should be plenty of time, right?

I expect immigration to be a lot tougher on UK flight than on an Irish one, so hopefully its not too busy. Anything else I should be aware of there?

Heading to SF via Heathrow myself shortly for a 2 week holiday..

DUB-LON lands at 9am in T3, and LON-SFO takes off at 11.50am from T5. I wasn't given any warnings at booking time saying time might be tight, but I know how Heathrow can be. This should be plenty of time, right?

I expect immigration to be a lot tougher on UK flight than on an Irish one, so hopefully its not too busy. Anything else I should be aware of there?

That is a fine connection. No issues with 2,5 hours.
    Immigration is immigration, they don't go harder or softer on specific flights. As far as the officer is concerned, you're just a foreigner trying to get in to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SimplyBlue

What's immigration like in Australia compared to the US? Will I need to bring bank statements etc?

• Advertisement

SimplyBlue wrote: »
    What's immigration like in Australia compared to the US? Will I need to bring bank statements etc?

Nah, they usually don't ask...only if you were staying longer than a normal holiday ( say anything over 3 weeks). They mostly assume that you'll have the cash or credit card to cover you

Advertisement