Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant appeal

Options
  • 26-05-2015 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I don't know if anyone could help me out. I was looking at the grants but the thresholds are ridiculously low!

I'm going into a level 8 course in September and I will be 20 y/o then. I'm still living at home with my parents and with 3 siblings who are still in secondary/primary school. My parents don't give me any money whatsoever and I pay for all my expenses myself. I've been working for the past 2 years and have now started to save for my registration fees. I will be leaving my full-time job when college begins so therefore I will not have any income after that. That is if I don't find an another job before that. The total reckonable income from my parents and my work last year is WAY over the threshold.

Anyhow, my question is, if I apply for the grant and I get rejected (which I will), is there a process to appeal the decision on the basis that I have no income at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

moriz wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone could help me out. I was looking at the grants but the thresholds are ridiculously low!

I'm going into a level 8 course in September and I will be 20 y/o then. I'm still living at home with my parents and with 3 siblings who are still in secondary/primary school. My parents don't give me any money whatsoever and I pay for all my expenses myself. I've been working for the past 2 years and have now started to save for my registration fees. I will be leaving my full-time job when college begins so therefore I will not have any income after that. That is if I don't find an another job before that. The total reckonable income from my parents and my work last year is WAY over the threshold.

Anyhow, my question is, if I apply for the grant and I get rejected (which I will), is there a process to appeal the decision on the basis that I have no income at all?

Unless the total reckonable income of the household is zero then the basis of your appeal is wrong.
    To be eligible for the grant, the reckonable income of the household must be under the threshold.
    However, if you leave your job because you have to because of attending college, then you can apply for a review of your application due to a change of circumstances.

An appeal based on the total reckonable income over the threshold with no change to such, would be a waste of time and energy for both yourself and SUSI if it is not founded. You would be better discussing with your parents what other options might be available for your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

Sup08 wrote: »
    Unless the total reckonable income of the household is zero then the basis of your appeal is wrong.
    To be eligible for the grant, the reckonable income of the household must be under the threshold.
    However, if you leave your job because you have to because of attending college, then you can apply for a review of your application due to a change of circumstances.

An appeal based on the total reckonable income over the threshold with no change to such, would be a waste of time and energy for both yourself and SUSI if it is not founded. You would be better discussing with your parents what other options might be available for your studies.

Thanks for your answer! Suppose I will have no luck then.

I feel it's quite ridiculous that parents income has such a huge influence over student finance when I am fully supporting myself. Even student loans need to be guarantored by a parent. That sucks.

Advertisement