Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Primary School Maths Questions (4th Class)

Options
  • 25-05-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions from the little one's homework that I'm wondering if you would be able to help me with. It has been a long, long day and all our heads are fried here! :pac: I just cannot explain it properly in a step by step way.

1) How long will it take Tom to finish the race if he has run 3/4 of it. (He has spent 30 minutes running already)

2) Tina has finished 3/10 of her karate lesson. For how many minutes does the lesson last? (The lesson has been ongoing for 15 minutes)

3) The cake is 4/5 baked. How long does it take to bake the cake? (The cake has been baking for 28 minutes)

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

What physical condition is Tom in.
    Has he been training.
    Will he likely finish the race strongly - sprinting to the finish line, or will he wilt and fade. Perhaps even unable to finish.

30/3 * 4 = 40

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

2) Tina has finished 3/10 of her karate lesson. For how many minutes does the lesson last? (The lesson has been ongoing for 15 minutes)

If 3/10 = 15, 1/10 = 5, so 10/10 = 50 minutes.

3) The cake is 4/5 baked. How long does it take to bake the cake? (The cake has been baking for 28 minutes)

4/5 = 28 so 1/5 = 7 minutes, 5/5 = 35 minutes.

It's basically using the skills of multiplication and division that they have been learning all year. First divide by the top number, then multiply the answer by the bottom number.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Divide by the top, multiply by the bottom. That was the simplicity I needed but couldn't find.

Thanks so much all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I would do Q1 something like this:
    - call the total race time "t"
    - three-quarters of "t" is 30 minutes: write that as 3/4 t = 30
    - 4 is below the fraction: multiply both sides by 4, so 3t = 120
    - divide both sides by 3, so t = 40

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement