Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Failure for bulbs.

Options
  • 25-05-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just done an NCT in my Wife's '07 1.6 Opel Zafira.
    After having the spare wheel stolen and a few cosmetic problems I had to fix, I never thought about checking all the bulbs.
    Turns out the right front dip light was blown, the reg plate lights (minor) and the rear fog lights.

Anyway, I've changed all the bulbs but the rear left fog light doesn't work.
    Is it standard that only one fog light works on the rear of the Zafira?
    or is there an electrical fault with my light? I have checked and swapped the bulbs around to be sure.

Thank in advance.
    Sup08
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Only 1 rear fog is supposed to work on that model.

I think they have a bulb on the other side for one but it's not wired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Most or maybe all cars only have 1 rear fog light.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aside from indicators, the only NCT checks on the rear are for the rear (red) lights and the reflectors, no mention of rear fog light at all.

Most cars that I've owned in the past few years have had just one rear fog lamp, the same position on the opposite cluster is often occupied by the reverse lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Thanks guys

The cluster on the left has a bulb and space for a fog lamp, the reverse lights are on the bottom on either side.

I have the recheck booked for Wednesday week and just don't want it to fail on 1 fog light.

Pov06 wrote: »
    Only 1 rear fog is supposed to work on that model.

I think they have a bulb on the other side for one but it's not wired.

I actually have an Opel Corsa '11 that just passed it's first NCT in Feb.
    So I had a look at the fog lights on that, as it has both the same clusters on either side, and the left fog lamp has a bulb in place but it's not wired/working.

Thanks for the replies and let's hope no bulbs blow before the next test.

Sup08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

coylemj wrote: »
    Aside from indicators, the only NCT checks on the rear are for the rear (red) lights and the reflectors, no mention of rear fog light at all.

Most cars that I've owned in the past few years have had just one rear fog lamp, the same position on the opposite cluster is often occupied by the reverse lamp.

https://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

Item no. 58

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Thanks, it's a section near the end, completely separate from most of the other lights which is why I missed it.

But good news for the OP, it only mentions a 'rear fog lamp' - singular.

If the vehicle is fitted with a Rear Fog Lamp, check that when in use, it provides a red light which is clearly visible

I just did a bit of research and the preferred placement of a single rear fog light is on the driver's side so the spot on the Corsa's left cluster would be wired for a rear fog lamp in a LHD model. I guess having the lamp on the driver's side means that you wouldn't be mistaken for a motorcycle in heavy fog.

Thank you all, for all the info everyone.
    The car passed the NCT tonight with no issues, 5 minutes the check the headlamp levels and then a walk around to check the fog lamp.
    1 fog lamp was all that was required and the job is done for another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Congrats.
    Not wishing to condescend, but you should be checking the bulbs regularly rather than waiting for the nct to come round.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Congrats.
    Not wishing to condescend, but you should be checking the bulbs regularly rather than waiting for the nct to come round.

I do check regularly (both Cars) and even had a pre-NCT check done a couple of weeks before the first NCT, just could be unlucky they went together or close together and never noticed I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement