Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do Triathletes Balance Training?

Options
  • 25-05-2015 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm sure I could read about this online but it's nice to have a chat!

How do triathletes in general balance their training? I cycle and I race and find that takes up so much of my week. I'd like to swim more but if I'm cycling round 4 or 5 days and preparing to race it is hard to fit in swimming, let alone running.

It's not even a question of time, more about tiring myself out for racing.

Would tri people tend to do two sports in one day? Or do it all on separate days?

I read that you need to swim 3 days a week to improve and I can't imagine fitting that in at the moment. I have the time to do it as I'm in college but wondering how to juggle the efforts.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Get up early.
    Cycle 3 times pw not 5
    Do split sessions morning and evening, or bricks
    Become very efficient with my time
    Stop watching tv
    Do covert s&c during work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Depends where you're coming from and what you are aiming for I reckon. If you're coming from no swimming, you'll still improve with 1-2 sessions a week. If you want to focus on tri I'd drop some of the cycling for sure, but if you're entering for the experience/enjoyment then do whatever you enjoy the most- maybe throw in a few short runs after rides?

Despite what people say, you don't need to be doing 15+ hours, 10-12 sessions per week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I generally do this:

Monday - Run (lunchtime) & Swim (Evening - group)
    Tuesday - Bike (lunchtime or after work)
    Wednesday - Swim (morning) & Run (lunchtime)
    Thursday - Bike (lunchtime or after work)
    Friday - Swim (morning) & Run (lunchtime)
    Saturday - Long bike
    Sunday - Long run

Key sessions run and bike wise would generally be Tuesday for bike and Friday for run but depending on how im getting on/phase of training/other commitments. I'm fortunate i can get 40-50mins in at lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

If over tries to immediately ramp up to the frequency, duration and intensity of more established triathletes one will quickly become sick, injured, jaded, or have a fatigued endocrine system. Slowly increasing frequency of training over many years is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    Stop watching tv

Or cycle while watching TV :D

Early morning swimming
    Turbo
    Lunchtime runs
    Embrace Silly O Clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

If its not a question of time then 3 session should be no problem. Do 45 min sessions initially, low intensity, build it up slowly. If one of your cycles is a recovery cycle replace it with a swim and short cycle.

Once you go over 8ish hours a week you have to double it up. At the start of last year I was wrecked for about 2 months, sick twice. It takes time, no issues this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

tunney wrote: »
    Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

If over tries to immediately ramp up to the frequency, duration and intensity of more established triathletes one will quickly become sick, injured, jaded, or have a fatigued endocrine system. Slowly increasing frequency of training over many years is the key.

Totally agree with this. I have seen so many people who go tri, love it, get right into it, and then burn out after 3 years.
    There's a lot to be said for some kind of adaptation of the runners 10% rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

Peterx wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. I have seen so many people who go tri, love it, get right into it, and then burn out after 3 years.
    There's a lot to be said for some kind of adaptation of the runners 10% rule.

If you take a look around at a typical race, the majority of entrants would be between 30-49 years old and within that group, a significant % are likely to have a young family & possibly a full-time job.

On that basis, it's reasonable to assume that a significant portion of triathletes are performing a tricky balancing act of family / work / training.

When family, work & training are all going well, chances are you are operating close to your limit. If one of those stressors were to suddenly increase (children won't sleep, work travel required etc etc) there isn't a huge buffer there to accomodate it. When this happens, you need to reduce the load in one of the other areas. Family will always comes first, so training is usually the area that takes the hit.

What I am saying is that if you take a closer look at some of these "burn-outs" and consider the general age profile of the sport; beyond triathlon, Life is happening to these people and pulling them in all sorts of directions.

I agree with Peterx that a sensible increase in workload would go a long way to avoiding burnout, you can control your training load like this, but other stressors seems to be a little more "lumpy". I had one child and then another one came along, well that was a 100% increase right there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I had one child and then another one came along, well that was a 100% increase right there! :eek:

You clearly weren't training hard enough if you had that kind of time available to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

BTH wrote:
    You clearly weren't training hard enough if you had that kind of time available to you.

Says the new father...ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Says the new father...ðŸ˜႒

Did you SEE any of my results last year, I clearly did no training. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

interesting topic OP.
    Adding to this balancing the O/Hs sporting requirements this can be very tricky.
    I use my cycle to work & home X5 as the bike training.
    I'm swimming X3 a week but no real plan to it other than increasing the distance gradually. (Still amazes me watching groups swimming 400-500 fs extremely quickly and wonder how I get to that level)
    I've always run and can bang out 6-8k every 2nd day
    The only real brick sessions I've done is cycle to pool, swim and cycle to work.
    First tri coming up. (A short one)

I have caused OH to miss Pilates more than once. Which costs me 12eur everytime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    interesting topic OP.
    Adding to this balancing the O/Hs sporting requirements this can be very tricky.
    I use my cycle to work & home X5 as the bike training.
    I'm swimming X3 a week but no real plan to it other than increasing the distance gradually. (Still amazes me watching groups swimming 400-500 fs extremely quickly and wonder how I get to that level)
    I've always run and can bang out 6-8k every 2nd day
    The only real brick sessions I've done is cycle to pool, swim and cycle to work.
    First tri coming up. (A short one)

I have caused OH to miss Pilates more than once. Which costs me 12eur everytime!!

Always try to have some sort of plan. After this season,try and pick up a group session somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

2 major adjustments I have made to fit training with a 60-70 hour work week and three children.

1. Turbo sessions. Not 2 hours of long endurance, but short 30-60 min focused sessions (trainer road or sufferfest are ideal for this).

2. Combine sessions: swim/run or bike run.

Thus I swim/cycle/run 3 each per week, as follows: 1 swim session, 2 swim followed by run sessions, 2 bike sessions, 1 brick (bike/run) session. I make the brick session my long run. Thus it is only 6 workouts per week. I find split sessions (eg swim morning/run evening) are more taxing, and my current training has allowed me to be aware of training volume/intensity, and gradually ramp up without over training!

Advertisement