Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressage Yards near Dublin

Options
  • 25-05-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All

I might have to move from the UK back to Ireland and I'm really struggling to find a nice dressage focussed yard near Dublin. Can anyone suggest any? I'm quite picky though so absolutely NO riding schools, somewhere that is relatively small and the main focus is dressage with good facilities. Ideally close to dressage instructors but I will have transport so can travel to clinics etc if needs be.

Many thanks, it's quite a change from the British Dressage world!!

Thank you
    Victoria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Unfortunately I think you're going to be very hard pushed to find a dressage focused yard. Ireland is massively focused on jumping and cross country/hunting. What part of Dublin are you looking at? Livery here can be quite expensive.

With regards Dressage Instructors there are plenty. Sandra Blake Farrell, Maureen Dwyer and Heike and Gisela Holstein are all based nearby and will often travel to yards.

Dressage Ireland would be our equivalent http://www.dressageireland.ie/ so maybe take a look at the places they host events.

I think Killossory is the big one that comes to mind, its in North Dublin with an indoor arena as well as an outdoor. DI host the leinster events here.

Boswell in Wicklow and Coilog in Kildare host DI events too as well as Marlton in Wicklow, so it might be worthwhile looking in the areas around here, depending on where you are based, North or South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

Marlton Stud in Co. Wicklow or

Dollanstown stud in Kilcock Co. Kildare- I think Sandra Blake Farrell takes some liveries there

Actually I forgot to mention Wellfield Stables in Ballymore Eustace, Karyn is very dressage focused there and competes at a high level in both Riding Club and Dressage Ireland herself. A lot of her liveries compete at dressage too and she gives instruction in dressage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dressagediva

Hi All

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'm not so worried about livery costs as I am the yard itself and I don't mind travelling up to 1 hour to the yard so anything within that distance would be fine. I'm going to look at Heike Holstein's yard, as well as Redcross stud and Killossory stud...I'll take a look at the others suggested above, thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Dollanstown in Kilcock - Sandra Blake Farrell a GP dresage rider is based there shes a fab instructor and the venue has an amazing 60 by 20 indoor arena as well.

Dunbyrne Stud is in Kilmeague in Kildare and has a good dressage instructor on site as well.

Redhills stud is in Kildare, its a multi discipline yard but they always have top class instructors over

Also on the M50 Dublin side try marlton or killossery

• Advertisement

Dollanstown in Kilcock - Sandra Blake Farrell a GP dresage rider is based there shes a fab instructor and the venue has an amazing 60 by 20 indoor arena as well.

Dunbyrne Stud is in Kilmeague in Kildare and has a good dressage instructor on site as well.

Redhills stud is in Kildare, its a multi discipline yard but they always have top class instructors over

Also on the M50 Dublin side try marlton or killossery

Thanks Dark Phoenix. All of those have been mentioned to me so they're on the list to check out. I can't find details for Dollanstown though, do you know if they have a website?

Thanks so much!
    Victoria

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

There is livery yard with great facilities near the Holstein yard, its called Kingsdale. They are showjumpers (you'll find them on FB under Ballyfore Sporthorses) but the yard is liveries only, no riding school and they have held clinics with Giesla Holstein aswell. You would be close enough for the Holsteins to probably travel for lessons either them to you or you to them!

Its very near alot of venues aswell for competitions etc.

HSI coach onsite who can do any discipline - dressage, SJ or XC!!

color_girl wrote: »
    There is livery yard with great facilities near the Holstein yard, its called Kingsdale. They are showjumpers (you'll find them on FB under Ballyfore Sporthorses) but the yard is liveries only, no riding school and they have held clinics with Giesla Holstein aswell. You would be close enough for the Holsteins to probably travel for lessons either them to you or you to them!

Its very near alot of venues aswell for competitions etc.

HSI coach onsite who can do any discipline - dressage, SJ or XC!!

Thanks colour girl. I think I want to go to a dressage focussed yard and ideally someone who can teach up to GP but I'll definitely take a look, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks Dark Phoenix. All of those have been mentioned to me so they're on the list to check out. I can't find details for Dollanstown though, do you know if they have a website?

Thanks so much!
    Victoria

If you have Facebook, check out ultimate dressage experience as its held in dollanstown and the phone number and contact details are on there

Will do, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Tbh most Dressage Riders in Eastern Region tend to have their own private yards, or they just have their horse on a 'regular' livery yard and compete in dressage, going to clinics and getting instructors in. The ones I can think of that would be more dressage focused over others in the area are:

- Spruce Lodge
    - Marlton Stud
    - Heike Holstein's Yard (can't remember the name of it)
    - Dollanstown Stud (Sandra Blake Farrell)
    - Daffodil Lodge Stud (Heidi Slott Jorgensen)
    - Dragonhold Stables

One piece of advice I would give you before committing to a yard, is to drive it in rush hour. You mentioned you would be fine driving up to an hour to a yard, but you could find that a 20 minute drive in off-peak time is close to an hour in rush hour. Traffic is insanity if you work in Dublin, particularly if you're working in Dublin but the yard is based in either Wicklow or Kildare, as you'll be stuck behind everyone else that works in Dublin and lives outside of it!

I could be wrong but I really think you'll find it hard to locate a livery yard with an onsite dressage instructor to the level you require. Most coaches tend to travel or host clinics at other yards, at that level anyway. If it were me (and this is just my two cents), I'd be looking at the facilities first, check are they open to instructors coming in, and make sure you have good transport :)

I can also recommend that you join 'Dressage Ireland' group on Facebook, as you may be able to look into options there, and also if you contact the Eastern Region of Dressage Ireland (Google it and their webiste will come up), they may be able to point you in the direction of a few yards.

Thank you Ah Yeah! That's super helpful. I did live in Dublin years ago so I do remember the horrendous traffic. I'm used to bad traffic, living in London!

I'm taking a trip over next month and will meet up with both Heike and Kate and Maureen Dwyer. I'll take a look at your other suggestions, some I've looked up previously but they weren't quite right.

Bizarrely, Spruce Lodge told me they don't do a livery service, which I found very odd. It is a livery yard, right?!!

Anyway, thank you for your help. I'm still very undecided on what to do...should I stay in the UK or move back to Ireland. AGH, decisions decisions!!!

Bizarrely, Spruce Lodge told me they don't do a livery service, which I found very odd. It is a livery yard, right?!!

It's actually a training facility. They did livery there for a while but obviously not anymore. They mostly hire it out for clinics etc.

Edited to add - the Delahoyde's are based in Marlton Stud, and would be quite successful in the field of Dressage. Worth a look.

Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I think the Holsteins place is called Sweep Stud??

I think Ah_Yeah is probably right about Ireland being more of a place where you get the livery yard that suits you & then most of the instructors do travel. Going on your list of wants, the Holsteins yard could definitely be suitable though, it has an indoor aswell, definitely helpful with Irelands lovely weather ;)

And totally agree with the travelling thing - definitely drive it at different times to see what its like. I know I've definitely met a few people where the yard has been ideal but the travelling just killed them so they had to move in the end :(

Would be interested to hear what your thoughts are once you do your investigation - Ireland v UK on the dressage yard front!

Best of luck with your search :)

I am one of those people that color_girl refers to. You need to factor in fuel costs onto the cost of livery too if you are happy to drive long distances. I ended up sometimes adding an extra €100 per week(often times more with traffic) onto my bills at the end of the month. This is what killed my bank balance in the end, particularly if traffic was bad, which it tends to be. I've wasted plenty an hour or two or three trying to get out the N7 from Dublin on a Friday afternoon/evening after work (again more diesel costs and arriving too grumpy to ride) So I had to move my horse back to Dublin after four years of being in yards in Kildare, about an hour's drive from where I live. Often longer in traffic.
    My car and my bank manager have thanked me. Also meant that I was home at a reasonable hour (not after 10PM or 11PM at night) and Iwasn't tired for work the next day. It also means I get to my horse more regularly as I am not tired from driving and being in work all the time.

Remember the weather in winter (this is where an indoor is handy) can often be too bad or it gets too dark to ride by the time you get out of work, battle traffic and get to the yard. Be aware of yard closing times too, I know of one in Wicklow that didn't have planning permission to have the arena lights on after 8pm for example, so if you have to drive an hour after work that this can mean less time with your horse on the other end.

Sometimes it is better to find a more expensive yard close to home offering similar facilities to another further away... particularly with fuel costs spiralling upwards.

Anyway I hope you find something suitable and please do let us know how you get on :)

Thanks guys. I'm meeting Heike next month so will let you know my thoughts from there. In terms of getting a livery yard, I just really want one that has a lot of dressage liveries located there so ideally would like to be on a high level dressage yard. I would be happy to live a bit further out of Dublin and be closer to the yard but then I guess I'm going to have to travel to work every day so that will be painful also!

I have to be careful about adding anything on facebook because my work over here doesn't know of any plans to move back to Ireland but I'm keeping an eye on the Dressage Ireland website.

I actually considered going back to Irleand and setting up my own dressage yard but I think realistically that is a few years down the line.

I know it is not impossible to keep up my momentum now. I know the trainers are there and the yards are there. It's just the amount of opportunities that are in the UK that will be tough to give up on, but perhaps those opportunities are in Ireland and I don't yet know about them.

For example, we have intercounty team weekends, inter regional team weekend events and the home counties weekend event (which members of Dressage Ireland can compete at). If anyone is coming over to represent Ireland let me know! And then of course there are the individual regional and national championships, as well as the Petplan championships. Perhaps Irelands answer to those competitions exist and I just need to do a bit more research!

Thank you Kamili. I currently live in the centre of London and my horse is stabled in Kent. It takes me roughtly 1.20 to 1.30 to get to the yard (once I get home from work) so it's a 2 hour door to door trip from work to the yard every day after work. I don't mind that. The fuel costs also come with the long journey so I'm also used to that. BUT I know the roads out of Dublin can be less reliable than the roads out of London so I just need to get over there and try a few yards out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Brook Lodge in Stepaside now? They have an indoor and when I rode there years ago it was a good yard. If I could get a good instructor to come visit it would be a good location for me but I have no idea what it is like as a yard or who runs it anymore.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any thoughts on Brook Lodge in Stepaside now? They have an indoor and when I rode there years ago it was a good yard. If I could get a good instructor to come visit it would be a good location for me but I have no idea what it is like as a yard or who runs it anymore.

Thanks!

Depends what you're looking for. Price wise, they are one of the most expensive in the area (I know I couldn't afford them), but then it's a totally private livery yard so you've got guaranteed use of the arena (they have 3, 2xoutdoor and a large indoor) at all times. They have fairly strict opening/closing times too so you should make sure to check that out. AFAIK they close on Bank Holidays.

They're handy to get to if you live in South Dublin which makes them appealing. Just make sure you have a checklist of all the things you're looking for -for me it's more about quality and standard of care, with decent facilities to ride in, then everything else comes second to that. They are the base of the Brooke Lodge Riding Club which are quite active in dressage leagues etc.

Another issue to take into account is definitely roads in the winter. I did a serious amount of damage to the suspension in my jeep driving bad pot holed roads, which meant serious replacement needed. I'm by no means a bad driver but when you have no road to get away from them you have little choice but to hit them. The icy weather also meant it was dangerous to stay out too late as the drive home was treacherous.

I think Brooke Lodge closes at the very latest by 9pm, if I recollect correctly. All liveries must be off site by that time, also on weekends I think its earlier. The bank holidays thing was also a worry for me too.
    Taylor Vard has a livery yard just up the road from there too, with an indoor and an outdoor as well,as and individual turnout. He is more expensive than Brooke lodge but I know one of his liveries had a Prix St. George horse and competed in him in dressage . Not sure at what level. I think Heike regularly used to come to teach there too but again in not sure.

Guys thank you all so much for your help, It's great to have the support before I even make the decision and not knowing anyone in the dressage world in Ireland makes me all the more appreciative of you all!

I'll take a look at Taylor Vards too. Thanks again x

• Advertisement

Brook lodge is very expensive and despite paying those prices you have to be off the yard by 9pm which to me is madness as they are totally inflexible about it. It could be earlier at weekends too so I cant comprehend how that works with liveries who are competing. (Ive never liveried there but know people who have).
    Could be a great yard otherwise, I don't know but worth knowing about the time thing

Yeah Dark Phoenix, a few people have mentioned the time thing when it comes to BrookLodge. Such a pity because it is well located and has the facilities to be a great yard.

It was fab when I rode there as a child under Sandra's management......memories....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I wonder could the time be due to insurance? Also, when competing, it's only the very rare occasion that I've arrived home later than 9pm.

convert wrote: »
    I wonder could the time be due to insurance?

Quite possibly. I know when Sandra had it it wasn't an issue, I kept a loan horse there on livery for a few months way back.

I'm not sure what happens with people needing to get out early morning when competing too, often wondered..

Often in the evenings the councils restrict a policy on turning off floodlights by a certain time but that doesn't explain the issues in the morning!

Often in the evenings the councils restrict a policy on turning off floodlights by a certain time but that doesn't explain the issues in the morning!

I wouldn't imagine that would impact the indoor arena though? I think the 9pm close is a rule from the owner/manager, but I may be mistaken.

I could be mistaken again but AFAIR Rosefield Cottage livery didn't have the restriction on their lights and they are only a short few hundred yards up the road. Or did they have lights?

Who knows Kamili. From the conversations I've had, I won't be going with Brooke Lodge for now anyway. I think west seems like the way to go, rather than south.

Hey, do you know where Sandra went by any chance? Is she still in the horse business?

I'm out in a new yard in west Dublin, great location to travel from I must say!

Sandra no longer offers livery, I think she moved down into Wicklow and still has a few horses which she competes sometimes.

Oh yes, I think I did hear that actually.

• Advertisement

Kamili wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine that would impact the indoor arena though? I think the 9pm close is a rule from the owner/manager, but I may be mistaken.

I could be mistaken again but AFAIR Rosefield Cottage livery didn't have the restriction on their lights and they are only a short few hundred yards up the road. Or did they have lights?

Rosefield is closed now.

Definitely no restrictions with floodlights - they close on Bank Holidays too. It's probably a personal thing in that they don't want to be on the yard or locking up late at night. At those prices you'd expect them to be flexible.

They are having a hard time filling their stables, I see them constantly advertising - but they don't come down in price.

Advertisement