Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blessington lakes tri

Options
  • 25-05-2015 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Anybody ever enter this. Would have thought those lakes are pretty dangerous to swim in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I haven't entered yet, it's on my maybe list still. Afaik it's based at the sailing club and I'd guess the shore line has been cleared long ago. I don't remember anything negative from last years reports

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Kander wrote: »
    I haven't entered yet, it's on my maybe list still. Afaik it's based at the sailing club and I'd guess the shore line has been cleared long ago. I don't remember anything negative from last years reports

It's in the area that the sailing club has sonard themselves to make sure it's safe. So no safety issue with the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

What were the problems before? I entered this race but haven't heard anything before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

The lake is considered dangerous to swim as there can be strong undercurrents which end up in the ESB turbines when they are making electricity. That won't happen during this race.

Its a good race, I did it last year (sprint). Swim was an out-and back from the shore, which meant stronger swimmers met weaker swimmers as they returned. After giving feedback they said it would be a triangular route this year. Bike is mostly on good fast flat roads, but there is a rough hilly backroads section. Nice run on backroads. I'd do it again but it clashes with another race.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    The lake is considered dangerous to swim as there can be strong undercurrents which end up in the ESB turbines when they are making electricity. That won't happen during this race.

That is the warning they should have out there, as opposed to "No Swimming".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

The other problem with the lakes, apart from the current is the wind, lots of valleys between the mountains there means that the wind is coming from lots of different directions in different places. Very easy to get blown out to the middle of the lake in some parts, from what I have been told that's the main reason for no swimming and for needing a permit to do any water sports on the lake (Had a friend who used to patrol the lake checking on people).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

And the water is very very cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

and the Lough Blessington Monster resides here

Advertisement