Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smart Roadster - A bad idea?

Options
  • 25-05-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I'm looking to change from my regular everyday car to something more fun. I am a previous Nissan Figaro owner, so I do like the quirky type of cars. Someone mentioned the Smart Roadster to me and I love the look and style. I'm concerned about reliability however. I'm looking at this:

http://www.adverts.ie/car/smart-car/roadster/2003-smart-car-roadster/8061249

I can only drive automatic cars, so not much else is coming up. I'd love an MX5 but insurance companies are refusing to insure me (28, f, full licence 1yr, driving for 2.)

Any advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

do it !!! I have an MX5 but woudnet think they would be harder to insure than the smart, have you rtied 123.ie ??? they are the only ones who give me decent quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

I have, I was quoted almost 2k which was the cost of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Honda beat or fiat barchetta, would be alternative option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Notch000 wrote: »
    Honda beat or fiat barchetta, would be alternative option

Must be automatic and look even slightly more interesting than all the other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder if it's the automatic only thing that is driving up your premium, perhaps you should look into getting trained and licensed to drive a manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JK82

The Smart Roadster should be a quirky but of fun just don't expect much in luggage space. Do the usual checks and a full service history is desirable. The engines on these have timing chains not belts but they can go a bit rattly sometimes. I'm not a huge fan of them but the reviews seem ok. The Mx5 is a better car tho in my opinion with a huge aftermarket support. Try around for insurance. Brophy Insurance brokers in Portlaoise are very good. I use them for classic car insurance but they are very competitive. If the car is a Japanese import it will be alot more expensive to insure than an Irish or UK car. I was driving a Mercedes Slk auto for a while and I paid 320 fully comp with protection for the year with AA insurance so shop around for def. I'm 33 with full no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JK82

Oh one more thing, don't expect a Smart Roadster to be quick. 0-60 is around 11 seconds which alot of family hatches will beat!

Advertisement