Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going into leaving cert

Options
  • 25-05-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

hi, im going into the leaving cert in september and i was wondering what to expect of the year any opinions or insights greatly appreciated :):rolleyes::o:D;):cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

Well I'll be sitting the Leaving Cert in 9 days!

The best possible piece of advice I can give you is to be consistent. I didn't bother my arse in 5th year, or for most of 6th year for that matter, and as expected i'm kicking myself for it now. I have almost everything covered now, but only have a very very stressful and intense couple of months.

So if you can go into 5th year with any kind of attitude, its to be as consistent as possible. And if you're doing a subject - for example Agricultural Science - that involves a project, where possible try to make some headway with it in 5th year.

So IMO, above all else consistency will pay dividends to you when the LC come knocking around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

kelly8249 wrote: »
    Well I'll be sitting the Leaving Cert in 9 days!

The best possible piece of advice I can give you is to be consistent. I didn't bother my arse in 5th year, or for most of 6th year for that matter, and as expected i'm kicking myself for it now. I have almost everything covered now, but only have a very very stressful and intense couple of months.

So if you can go into 5th year with any kind of attitude, its to be as consistent as possible. And if you're doing a subject - for example Agricultural Science - that involves a project, where possible try to make some headway with it in 5th year.

So IMO, above all else consistency will pay dividends to you when the LC come knocking around! :)

Agree with all of this , my son is doing his leaving cert also, people think 5th year is the doss year and realise it's not when heading into 6th,
    Good luck 📄📄

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

from my own experience, I started too early, my expectations were always too high, everything in my life revolved around study and then one day things just hit me all at once! I'm feeling better now, but don't work yourself too hard. Its a long year, and its possible you will get so fed up of it all right before the exams which is not good at all
    Exercise I think is very important! A good walk everyday, trust me! One thing for me I've learned is the LC isn't worth that much as its hyped to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Peg14 wrote: »
    from my own experience, I started too early, my expectations were always too high, everything in my life revolved around study and then one day things just hit me all at once! I'm feeling better now, but don't work yourself too hard. Its a long year, and its possible you will get so fed up of it all right before the exams which is not good at all
    Exercise I think is very important! A good walk everyday, trust me! One thing for me I've learned is the LC isn't worth that much as its hyped to be.

its completely over hyped. then you have college afterwards and then the real world which is the toughest of the lot.

the important thing to realize is that the LC is only the first of many steps in your life. you go to college afterwards wherein every year is a LC. then you have the real world which is mainly dealing with people.

the LC and College are not really good examples of what the real working environment is like. When you are working you need good interpersonal skills. i see so many people who think that studying 10 hours a day will sort them for life. and then they go working and its mainly liaising with other people

The LC is important but there are others parts of your game that are equally as so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

please be honest to achieve good results what to you suggest? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

please be honest to achieve good results what to you suggest? :)

I'm just finishing fifth year now.

My best advice would probably be to do all your homework to the best of your ability. Study for your tests like you're going into the LC, and do all your homework like you're answering an exam question.

If you keep this quality of work consistent, then when you start to seriously prep for the LC, the high standard of answers will become second nature to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

I am doing my leaving cert this year and done no work whatsoever in the last two years so all I can say is use up the time and just put the study and work in. I will probably repeat because I done nothing at all until the last 2 or 3 weeks.

OriginV wrote: »
    I am doing my leaving cert this year and done no work whatsoever in the last two years so all I can say is use up the time and just put the study and work in. I will probably repeat because I done nothing at all until the last 2 or 3 weeks.

do you think its a good idea to do work over summer? :):rolleyes::p

do you think its a good idea to do work over summer? :):rolleyes::p

Well seeing as you're going IN to fifth year, you wont have any of the LC course done yet so you wont have a whole lot to study. :)

I think the thing with the next year or so is to be consistent, I don't think you should spend 5th year mad studying either, otherwise the 2 years will feel like a bit of a slog and you'll burn yourself out.

Just keep on top of the course in each of your subjects, do your homework etc. Don't let yourself fall behind and you have the chance to get ahead, do! But 2 years is a pretty long time when you think about it, so just try to keep some balance I'd say :)

• Advertisement

Well seeing as you're going IN to fifth year, you wont have any of the LC course done yet so you wont have a whole lot to study. :)

I think the thing with the next year or so is to be consistent, I don't think you should spend 5th year mad studying either, otherwise the 2 years will feel like a bit of a slog and you'll burn yourself out.

Just keep on top of the course in each of your subjects, do your homework etc. Don't let yourself fall behind and you have the chance to get ahead, do! But 2 years is a pretty long time when you think about it, so just try to keep some balance I'd say :)
    im going into 6th year in my school we call it fifth year because they don't officially consider transition year a school study year as it is optional and we basically do nothing in it :p

im going into 6th year in my school we call it fifth year because they don't officially consider transition year a school study year as it is optional and we basically do nothing in it :p

Ahh ok. :) Well in that case if you have stuff to study, there's no harm in doing some work over the Summer. It'd definitely give you a leg up for the year and put you in good stead! But the same thing applies really, too much and you'll burn yourself out early on.

My advice is to start looking at exam papers ASAP. Because from doing old papers and mocks over the last few months, I've learnt far far more than just learning the notes on a topic. Exam Papers and the marking schemes are THE best study tools IMO :)

Ahh ok. :) Well in that case if you have stuff to study, there's no harm in doing some work over the Summer. It'd definitely give you a leg up for the year and put you in good stead! But the same thing applies really, too much and you'll burn yourself out early on.

My advice is to start looking at exam papers ASAP. Because from doing old papers and mocks over the last few months, I've learnt far far more than just learning the notes on a topic. Exam Papers and the marking schemes are THE best study tools IMO :)
    thank you very much and the best of luck in your Lc 2015 :D how many days left? :P

the funny thing is and it happens in college as well, you spend the whole year studying for exams that take three hours to do and then three or four weeks after they are over you will have forgotten everything you have learned.

dont forget as well folks, that your interpersonal skills are as important to respective employers as your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Enjoy 5th year. Then when you come back in 6th year be ready to work. Otherwise you'll burn out :)

Advertisement