Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching PE unquailified

• 25-05-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    This year was my first year teaching after qualifying and I was lucky enough to get a maternity position teaching maths and PE even though i'm a qualified maths and science teacher. Now that my contract is finished and i'm applying for jobs for Sept I've been called for a maths and PE interview up the country. Is it a waste of time going? Is there any chance I can even get the job when i'm unqualified in PE and will probably be up against people with a lot more experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozzers1989

Please do not think of it like that. You should definitely go for the interview, you have absolutely nothing to lose. You have experience teaching maths and PE, which is what they are looking for. Your ability to teach outside of your degree will also stand to you.

It is never a waste of time going for an interview, don't even think about how experienced or qualified the other candidates may or may not be. If you think you are capable of doing the job then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

ozzers1989 wrote: »
    Please do not think of it like that. You should definitely go for the interview, you have absolutely nothing to lose. You have experience teaching maths and PE, which is what they are looking for. Your ability to teach outside of your degree will also stand to you.

It is never a waste of time going for an interview, don't even think about how experienced or qualified the other candidates may or may not be. If you think you are capable of doing the job then go for it!

Good advice! Thanks ozzers1989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭2011abc

Spunky advice but the sad reality is many 'interviews' are for jobs that have already been decided .This will be far more common with new annual reinterviewing for CID .
    Sickening that you are MORE likely to be sent on one of these wild goose chases if travelling from far away .Principals may be less inclined to inconvenience the local teachers they know personally .
    Must happen at least dozens of times a year .SO unfair .

2011abc wrote: »
    Spunky advice but the sad reality is many 'interviews' are for jobs that have already been decided .This will be far more common with new annual reinterviewing for CID .
    Sickening that you are MORE likely to be sent on one of these wild goose chases if travelling from far away .Principals may be less inclined to inconvenience the local teachers they know personally .
    Must happen at least dozens of times a year .SO unfair .

It happens all over the country from what I hear (not currently based in Ireland), HOWEVER I still think that it is worthwhile going. It certainly doesn't happen in all interview scenarios, and from what I've heard from friends back home, the situation is definitely less bleak.

Go to the interview and smash it! Even if they job HAS already been decided (which it equally might not have been), if you make an impression you are more likely to garner more opportunities. Forever the optimist eh?

DO IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Ya it's worrying this year that most of the jobs are probably already gone! I just thought that if that was the case that they'd only chose minimum amount of ppl and keep them local! Not very fair to go dragging us across the country! And if the job is gone why interview so many ppl! It's gonna be a tough summer! :(

• Advertisement

If I were you, I wouldn't even think about it like that. Just go for and see what happens! As I said before, you have nothing to lose! Let us know how you get on, I've my fingers crossed for you!

Advertisement