Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Beater for Pool/ Beach.

Options
  • 25-05-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

So,

as the title says, I'm looking for a cheap beater for the pool/ beach. Eoin had a nice on in the for sale thread, but unfortunately no longer available, as this would have been ideal.

17369436691_e4d8466ae3_z.jpg
    I've been looking around the bay and amazon, and not seeing anything similar, for similar money (obviously enough).

Anybody have any suggestions for something similar style, for similar sort of money?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry about that!

New - maybe a Vostok? Or a Casio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Eoin wrote: »
    Sorry about that!

New - maybe a Vostok? Or a Casio?

No need at all to apologise Eoin. My fault for procrastinating. I had seen that Casio alright, but there's another on Adverts that's kinda caught my eye as well, as long as it hasn't sold.

Linky

I reckon either of them would look pretty OK on a NATO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That looks good. If it's a big watch it could look quite top heavy on a thin NATO though. I tried 2 different ones with a big diver I got, and went for a leather strap instead (I just hate the feel and look of rubber straps).

Eoin wrote: »
    That looks good. If it's a big watch it could look quite top heavy on a thin NATO though. I tried 2 different ones with a big diver I got, and went for a leather strap instead (I just hate the feel and look of rubber straps).

I'd be slightly concerned about that as well myself. But I'm also of the same opinion as you. Hate rubber straps. It just don't feel natural.

• Advertisement

I suppose NATOs are cheap enough that it's not a big risk - it could look fine depending on how the lugs are positioned, curved etc. It'll probably be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

There's a lovely little Seiko 5 Automatic up on adverts for a measly €65 at the moment and you might get it a little cheaper than that too. Hard to beat that IMO and its on a NATO too

http://www.adverts.ie/sports/seiko-5-automatic-military-watch/8069716

Homer wrote: »
    There's a lovely little Seiko 5 Automatic up on adverts for a measly €65 at the moment and you might get it a little cheaper than that too. Hard to beat that IMO and its on a NATO too

Cheers Homer,

I'd seen that one as well, but the only thing putting me off it is the size. I'd rather something slightly larger. If all came to all, I'd go for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Yeah 38mm can be a little on the small side depending on your wrist size, and what you normally wear as a daily watch. You get used to the smaller size after a day or so if it's a holiday watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

• Advertisement

So I'm most likely going to.go down the Casio route. Either the one on Adverts that I'd linked above. Or This

Either of them would be put on a NATO/ Zulu. Any opinions from anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Homer wrote: »

I got one of these a few yrs ago for the same purpose, but after a while I found it too small. Its the beige one I got, changed it to a leather strap and wife wears it on occasions.

What I really should have got was an Orient Mako on the rubber strap..bit more substantial a watch and the same internals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

What about something like this?

http://www.parniswatch.net/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=1403&productname=

Automatic, sapphire, nylon strap, decent size, very easy to read, wont break the bank..!!

Lex Luthor wrote: »

http://www.parniswatch.net/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=1403&productname=

Automatic, sapphire, nylon strap, decent size, very easy to read, wont break the bank..!!

Cheers Lex, that's damn near ideal. Would prefer a wee but more water resistance, but coukd live with that. Any idea on lead times from Parnis?

I do have a mate who owns a Jewellers,that owes me a favour or two checking for me as well. So I may see what he can come up with as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Lex Luthor wrote: »

I like Parnis watches, I have a couple but I wouldn't trust them in terms of water resistance, regardless of what the spec says. I've had some fog up after washing your hands and others that can be worn in the shower without problem. Better safe than sorry. That Casio linked above looks like great value.

Advertisement