Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a phone off EBAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I did buy a phone on ebay and had no trouble. However I was lucky that the seller was based in Ireland and was just selling the phone because he couldn't work it. I have heard of people (my own brother included) who have bought phones and once the paypal deadline has passed the owner of the phone reported the phone lost to the phone company in order to claim insurance and the phone company blocked the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Miaireland wrote: »
    I did buy a phone on ebay and had no trouble. However I was lucky that the seller was based in Ireland and was just selling the phone because he couldn't work it. I have heard of people (my own brother included) who have bought phones and once the paypal deadline has passed the owner of the phone reported the phone lost to the phone company in order to claim insurance and the phone company blocked the phone.

This is why I never buy used phones, unless I know the person. Risky business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

always buy new from a good store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

efwren wrote: »
    Hi,

Some advice needed

I have only ever purchased phones directly from my provider as part of a contract.

My current phone (s4) is broken so am looking to get a new one. There seems be pretty good value on Ebay, but has anybody purchased a new phone from Ebay?..what are the pitfalls?

For example I was looking at a LG g3 as they seem to be a good balance between price and spec:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-LG-G3-D855-TITAN-GREY-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-SIM-FREE-16GB-4G-LTE-/271864380238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c613b4e

Thanks!

He has sold over 11,000 items in eBay with a feedback rating of 99.9%. I'd say you are safe enough.

I have the G2. Great phone so I would imagine the G3 is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

efwren wrote: »
    Hi,

Some advice needed

I have only ever purchased phones directly from my provider as part of a contract.

My current phone (s4) is broken so am looking to get a new one. There seems be pretty good value on Ebay, but has anybody purchased a new phone from Ebay?..what are the pitfalls?

For example I was looking at a LG g3 as they seem to be a good balance between price and spec:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-LG-G3-D855-TITAN-GREY-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-SIM-FREE-16GB-4G-LTE-/271864380238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c613b4e

Thanks!

Brand new from Amazon for cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KMZ07J2/?tag=goedko-21

(Right hand side. Click the "phone only" option).

Amazon are great if you need to return the item for any reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for the amazon link Mezcita, I think I'd rather purchase through amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

If you're looking at the G3, be careful. There are two models. The 16gb comes with 2gb ram, and the 32gb comes with 3gb ram. One might be cheaper than the other because of that, so don't get tricked.

Advertisement