Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone and plan suggestions

Options
  • 25-05-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi

Im in the market for a new phone + pay as you go plan and looking for suggestions.
    Have an old Sony Ericson and my apps no longer work as operating system is medieval so looking for phone good with streaming movies/clips, 4G, gaming and decent camera to use with social media. Dont think I need to spend major money to gain those attributes.
    Im on a vodafone plan at the moment that gives me free text to any network for 20 euro a month but calls cost more than usual and so does data, need a plan that has calls/texts to any network with data.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

The asus zenfone 2 might be worthwhile
    http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2_ze551ml-6917.php
    ( go with the 4gb ram version if you want, reviews are a bit dodgy, so its holding me off buying any )
    you could also go with the oneplusone
    https://oneplus.net/ie/one
    ( go with the 64gb version if you are )
    I am with tesco mobile * 15e for unlimited calls and texts and 1gb of data. there is no 4g yet with them. you can get add-ons for extra data if you want. if you change your number and link your clubcard you get extra points for your phone. 5e worth of club card coupons = 15e credit, so you wouldnt pay even 120e for the year for the tesco deal.
    Of course you could look at 48, or 3. 48 doesnt have 4g, I am unsure how long 3 will be doing free 4g if they still are in fact.
    There is a thread somewhere telling you every deal, ill try find it and link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

daytob wrote: »
    ( go with the 4gb ram version if you want, reviews are a bit dodgy, so its holding me off buying any )
    I am with tesco mobile * 15e for unlimited calls and texts and 1gb of data. there is no 4g yet with them. you can get add-ons for extra data if you want. if you change your number and link your clubcard you get extra points for your phone. 5e worth of club card coupons = 15e credit, so you wouldnt pay even 120e for the year for the tesco deal.
    Of course you could look at 48, or 3. 48 doesnt have 4g, I am unsure how long 3 will be doing free 4g if they still are in fact.
    There is a thread somewhere telling you every deal, ill try find it and link here.

Cheers, the link would be great thanks.

That oneplus phone looks the business. Exactly what I need thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Last updated in December 2014, so dont hold everything down as gospel

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168810

I have the 1+1 and love it, its worth noting that afaik it doesnt work on all 4g bands in ireland

Last updated in December 2014, so dont hold everything down as gospel

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168810

I have the 1+1 and love it, its worth noting that afaik it doesnt work on all 4g bands in ireland

Sounds good. When you say it doesnt work on all 4g bands do you mean areas of the country or vendors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Also the oneplustwo is due to be launched in September (I think) if you can hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

james123 wrote: »
    Sounds good. When you doesnt work on all 4g bands do you mean areas of the country or vendors?

Europe uses 3 bands for 4G, they are 800Mhz(Band 20), 1800Mhz(Band 3) and 2600Mhz(Band 7).
    The lower the frequency, the further the signal will travel. So, 800Mhz is great in rural areas as the signal travels a long distance from the mast, whereas in the city where you have telecom masts every few hundred meters,so even 2600Mhz will suffice.

Ireland auctioned 800Mhz and 1800Mhz, 800Hz being more expensive. So Three didn't buy any 800Mhz, only 1800Mhz. Vodafone and O2 bought mostly 800Mhz but some 1800Mhz also - I think in case there is overload on the 800Mhz masts.

The OnePlusOne does not offer 800Mhz, just LTE: Bands: (2100 - Band 1) / (1800 - Band 3 / (1700- Band 4) / (2600 - Band 7) / (700 - Band 17) / (2600 - Band 38) / (2300 - Band 40).
    So, in an urban area such as Galway city, and with Three, your signal should be great.
    In a rural area, it's probably pot luck.

Europe uses 3 bands for 4G, they are 800Mhz(Band 20), 1800Mhz(Band 3) and 2600Mhz(Band 7).
    The lower the frequency, the further the signal will travel. So, 800Mhz is great in rural areas as the signal travels a long distance from the mast, whereas in the city where you have telecom masts every few hundred meters,so even 2600Mhz will suffice.

Ireland auctioned 800Mhz and 1800Mhz, 800Hz being more expensive. So Three didn't buy any 800Mhz, only 1800Mhz. Vodafone and O2 bought mostly 800Mhz but some 1800Mhz also - I think in case there is overload on the 800Mhz masts.

The OnePlusOne does not offer 800Mhz, just LTE: Bands: (2100 - Band 1) / (1800 - Band 3 / (1700- Band 4) / (2600 - Band 7) / (700 - Band 17) / (2600 - Band 38) / (2300 - Band 40).
    So, in an urban area such as Galway city, and with Three, your signal should be great.
    In a rural area, it's probably pot luck.

Ok this is the first Ive heard of any of this so from what I understand are vodafone and O2 the better networks to be on with a OnePlusOne. Also are the other networks not in the 4G game or will they soon i.e. Tesco etc

Also the oneplustwo is due to be launched in September (I think) if you can hold off.

Unfortunately need one now its in bits. Im sure it would be hard to get your hands on stock when first out so could be another while waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

james123 wrote:
    Ok this is the first Ive heard of any of this so from what I understand are vodafone and O2 the better networks to be on with a OnePlusOne. Also are the other networks not in the 4G game or will they soon i.e. Tesco etc

Not quite, Vodafone and O2 are the best for those in rural areas.
    But the reason that makes them the best is the availability of 800Mhz band in 4G. You can't get the 800Mhz on OnePlusOne.
    So, in rural areas don't go for OnePlusOne.

• Advertisement

Not quite, Vodafone and O2 are the best for those in rural areas.
    But the reason that makes them the best is the availability of 800Mhz band in 4G. You can't get the 800Mhz on OnePlusOne.
    So, in rural areas don't go for OnePlusOne.

I see. I have the phone now anyway seems great but taking alot of getting used to as havent had a new phone in 4 + years and no instructions.
    Also went with the vodafone plan 5GB data plus unlimited calls + texts to vodafone mobiles for 30 days at 20 euros

Advertisement