Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic nutrition

Options
  • 25-05-2015 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Curious as to what peoples preferred race day rituals are for food.. from breakfast to during and after..maybe even night before..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

This is a huge topic but I'll do a quick summary. In general, the day before I would eat little over salted food, sometimes it would be some pasta and sometimes even a steak (more relaxed :P ). In the morning of the race I prefer some fruit and then eggs with olive oil and crushed almonds and during the race I have different "receipt" from my coach (mostly carbs with a bit of proteins, salt and l-carnitine but it depends on the weather/distance/goal). After the race I take some fruit and preferably soup (Lough Cutra Triathlon had fantastic beans and quinoa soup). Later in the day I would probably eat some extra proteins, chicken or similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Nothing too different from normal to be honest. Night before some pasta and chicken, probably what I have most Friday nights anyway. Probably have porridge for breakfast and then depending on the start time a small lunch, for Carlow I brought along some ham sandwiches and had them around 1.5hrs before the race started. During the race had some jellies. Find this works better for me than a big change, keep it to what you know and what you know works well for your.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

porridge or weetabix and muesli pre race. fluids leading up to the race. 1 gel early on the bike, and another somewhere around t2.

something with sugar directly afterwards, drink or food, and then normal food for the rest of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

I was planning on a bagel with ham for breakfast about 2.5 hours before hand, 2 gels on the bike and about 3/4 bottle water.. maybe some luco sport beforehand..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Granola and yogurt before I leave home.

Nature Valley bar bout 30mns before start.

Probably 2 gels on the bike (one at bout 7/8k, one at about 35k).

Anything afterwards (the petrol station opposite Triathy carpark sells 99's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anything afterwards (the petrol station opposite Triathy carpark sells 99's)

See you there!!

Advertisement