Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Naas Fast Charge Location A Joke

Options
  • 25-05-2015 10:07am

I want people to complain publicly to the ESB on their Ecar FB page about this location, if someone can start I will add because I have done this before and got fobbed off and I don't want the ESB to say " oh here he goes again" !!!

The Location is a joke and can take 20 mins in peak traffic to get from the big ball to the charge point. Also locals are using it as their own personal charge point for up to an hour and more because they are too mean to charge at home considering how cheap it is I find this intolerable !

There are plenty of garages on the N7 and there is a new garage going on the M9 which would be an ideal location.

If someone gets the ball rolling on the Ecar Facebook page I will add to it so please let me know if you post.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Is this the one in Tesco car park opposite costa or the one at the train station ?

njburke wrote: »
    Is this the one in Tesco car park opposite costa or the one at the train station ?

Yes, Tesco car park. What train station though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Yes, Tesco car park. What train station though ?

There is a charge point at the train station in Sallins, a short walk from Tesco, but it's only a standard charger. Even if it weren't, the location is no more convenient for people on the M7 than Tesco.

It's the standard charge points they should have in Tesco and Blanch shopping centre. Then you don;t mind someone plugging in for 2 hours or so.

There should be a limit of 2 hrs on a standard charge point and to no more than 80% charge on a fast charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

There's a charge point in the town centre too (at the public car park near the location of Naas farmers' market), here: http://goo.gl/maps/wuPYV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm waiting at the Naas rapid right now behind a women in a silver 132 leaf who I suspect just went in to shop. She saw me pulling in and ran over to start her charge, two lights went solid on her dash within 30 seconds of plugging in so she was over 50%.

Yep it's a pain in the ass, I'v no Idea why the ESB install fast chargers in shopping centers.

We need to complain on their Public facebook page though to get the message across.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

Just get a Zoe. No worries about queues unless you physically can't get to the point. Have yet to be blocked at a FCP in 4 different countries!

Zoe charger is great at the normal street chargers, charging in about 1Hr 30 mins to 100% and those fast chargers that have AC and DC and two charging spaces would mean a Leaf and Zoe could charge at the same time. That's a good advantage.

Only think I don't know is if the power is shared between the AC/DC or if it's completely independent.

BTW, glad your trip is working out with Zoe Dexter, so do you recommend a trip to the "mainland" in an EV ?

Only think I don't know is if the power is shared between the AC/DC or if it's completely independent.

Independent AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

This is a issue with owning an electric vehicle. It should be considered before buying. There isn't enough infrastructure in place and what is in place is abused.

Rackstar wrote: »
    This is a issue with owning an electric vehicle. It should be considered before buying. There isn't enough infrastructure in place and what is in place is abused.

Nope, You clearly don't drive an EV.

Ireland has one of the best infrastructures in the world... with more than a thousand level 2 and plenty of level 3 chargers less than 40km from anywhere in the country. And all free, and all under one well maintained network covering the north as well. Until recently there were several public chargers for every EV on the road.

Our charging network is vastly superior to Germany or the UK. In the UK there are large areas up to 100km or more from the nearest level 3 charger, which may or may not work because over 80 organisations (including local councils (and over 40 in london alone)) are charged with maintaining them.
    One of the cards from the SEVEN major charging networks may or may not work and you may be charged nothing to as much as €14 for €1-2 of electricity.

Us EV owners are just whining about the siting of one particular rapid charger here...

And mainly we're getting to whine about it because more EVs have been sold in the first few months of this year than in the past decade combined.
    So we're dealing with a lot of new drivers on the road and a lot of them don't know the etiquette when it comes to using rapid chargers (i.e. they are like a petrol pump... you spend your 15 minutes filling up and free up the pump for someone else.)

Electric Vehicles & Hybrids know quite a bit more than the Motors forum about EVs. Most of the talking points Motors posters have are either 4-5 years out of date or were never true in the first place.

Rackstar wrote: »

Indeed it is an issue but it's more of an issue for people like me who absolutely need the fast charger network to get home.

I'm hoping the ESB will start charging for the charger use soon because this will stop most "locals" using the fast chargers as their own free personal charging station.

When the 150-200 mile range EV's appear in 2017 ( early 18) there'll be much less reliance on fast charging.

I still manage to drive 140 kms per day however and won't ever go back to petrol or diesel ever again as my main car.

I'll drive my partners diesel for the real long hauls only to keep miles off the leaf for the PCP

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

There is a growing number of people who use FCPS to charge daily as they live in apartments and have no home point. I have met guys in Naas and blanch with this issue. Not everyone can home charge, Unfortunately this just increases the ques for commuters

If I lived in an apartment and couldn't install a charge point then I wouldn't have an EV. Not having home charging greatly increases the inconvenience caused.

It should be law that apartment owners should be allowed to install charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Don't think I could be bothered to get one without home charging either, In a cold winters night having to go out and get a charge, might suit some people that walk their dog etc

Without home charging it just isn't practical to own an EV.

Unless fast charging could be done in 5 mins then I'd say fair enough but it can't at this time .

Shame the Government aren't even contemplating even so much as entertaining the idea of passing a law to ensure apartment owners, and renters are entitled to install a charge point if they see fit.

This thing of "ye can't take up a parking space" is rubbish and only an excuse, you're not taking up a space just swapping one for another !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

cros13 wrote: »
    Nope, You clearly don't drive an EV.

Ireland has one of the best infrastructures in the world... with more than a thousand level 2 and plenty of level 3 chargers less than 40km from anywhere in the country. And all free, and all under one well maintained network covering the north as well. Until recently there were several public chargers for every EV on the road.

Our charging network is vastly superior to Germany or the UK. In the UK there are large areas up to 100km or more from the nearest level 3 charger, which may or may not work because over 80 organisations (including local councils (and over 40 in london alone)) are charged with maintaining them.
    One of the cards from the SEVEN major charging networks may or may not work and you may be charged nothing to as much as €14 for €1-2 of electricity.

Us EV owners are just whining about the siting of one particular rapid charger here...

And mainly we're getting to whine about it because more EVs have been sold in the first few months of this year than in the past decade combined.
    So we're dealing with a lot of new drivers on the road and a lot of them don't know the etiquette when it comes to using rapid chargers (i.e. they are like a petrol pump... you spend your 15 minutes filling up and free up the pump for someone else.)

Electric Vehicles & Hybrids know quite a bit more than the Motors forum about EVs. Most of the talking points Motors posters have are either 4-5 years out of date or were never true in the first place.

I think you've got the wrong end of the charger here. I never compared our infrastructure to any other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057458059

I spotted this on the Kildare forum. It looks as if an Applegreen station with charging points is planned for the Naas North exit.

"charge points" hopefully this means Fast charge ?

I wonder now will the new garage on the M9 just past Kilcullen get a fast charger now ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement