Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures are not as sharp here compared to my Flickr.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Flickr shows the max res available to suit your browser window. Scale it down and you see the same image above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I prefer Max res tbh :/
    And why can't boards show the max the way Flickr does?
    As I said I only noticed this recently, then again I was with Pixie before and I def think my pics look sexier on Flickr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I prefer Max res tbh :/
    And why can't boards show the max the way Flickr does?
    As I said I only noticed this recently, then again I was with Pixie before and I def think my pics look sexier on Flickr.

The above has been scaled down already by flickr. When you upload to flickr it creates a bunch of different sized images. You've chosen one of those particular sizes to display here ( I assume the 800xSomething size). This, for example, is the original sized file https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7661/17448748913_09fe9eca3d_o.jpg (I won't embed it). Upshot is that any perceived loss in 'sharpness' is probably down to the resizing flickr does for the differently sized images.

So what size would you recommend that I upload?
    The one that keeps it as sharp as possible to the original etc

So what size would you recommend that I upload?
    The one that keeps it as sharp as possible to the original etc

How do you mean ? I guess if your main aim is sharing on boards then you could upload an 800xSomething image everytime, which means you could tailor the resize to the image, add what you consider an acceptable level of sharpening etc etc. If you primarily view flickr as your sharing platform then upload whatever, people can click through to the originals if they want. In practice I wouldn't be too concerned about whatever milli-imaginary-units-of-sharpness that are lost when flickr resamples for each size.

• Advertisement

I meant which size should I use from Flickr to upload to here?
    The one that conforms the most so to speak.

I meant which size should I use from Flickr to upload to here?
    The one that conforms the most so to speak.

At least in the random photo thread you kinda have to use 800xX or Xx800 otherwise you'll get your image removed. Otherwise whatever takes your fancy. I don't think there are any rules WRT image sizes on threads you open yourself, but not many people will bother looking at something that's 5000x4000 for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Actually from the Charter .....

Keep images under 800px on the longest side. If you want to post larger images, you should provide a link to them.

But we mainly enforce that in the RPT.

Try uploading images at close to the resolution you will be displaying and see if that makes it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I have tried (and failed) to upload a photo here for comparison with sharpness in Flickr. A good photo, BTW, Animal Rights.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/

... I've just worked out that the Jpeg I tried to upload is too large for this site.
    Anything smaller would cause loss of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'm using Chrome, and I don't see any difference between the two, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Have to agree. I see no difference between the two shots despite multiple back-and-forths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

kelly1 wrote: »
    I'm using Chrome, and I don't see any difference between the two, tbh.

If your browser window isn't big enough, you'll see the very same image.

Advertisement