Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday Tips?

Options
  • 25-05-2015 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in outdoor education, considering moving to NZ from September onwards.. I've been researching things but I'm still unsure.

Queenstown would be my ideal location but this is based on the landscape and adventure activities rather than actual knowledge of conditions in the area. Are there jobs available for someone on a working holiday visa? In what kind of sectors is there work available for someone there temporarily? What are rent prices like - I currently pay €50/week for a room in a 4-bed house - is it relatively the same as this or what?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Work in Queenstown equals mostly hospitality or tourism related stuff, tons of backpackers from all over the world are there working, partying or doing adventure sports there. It also caters to the high end of the market as it gets a lot of rich Australians over for the weekend to Ski and party...kind of like an alpine town at the bottom of the planet :) Pretty cool place but cost of living is higher then other parts down south. Couldnt tell you off hand what the rent is but check www.trademe.co.nz under property for rent, you'll also find job adverts there to get a feel for the employment situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Agree with everything pclancy has said and just wanted to say you will be extremely lucky to find a room for rent for $75 (the equivalent of EU50) a week. It will be double that and some.

As pclancy has said, Trademe.co.nz will give you an idea of jobs and rooms available.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ok actually maybe not a great idea to go to Queenstown, on the news when I got home tonight was this piece about the chronic housing shortage there as ski season kicks in!

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/queenstown-s-housing-squeeze-30-under-one-roof-6325308

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

Thanks for the info.

Further reading is pointing me towards christchurch - seems to be a better option in terms of finding work and as a base. Is there as much construction going on there as I'm hearing? I've no experience in the sector but I'm into rock climbing with a good head for heights so maybe suited for scaffolding..!

Any other good links for info? Or things I should be aware of/need to look into/register for etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Thanks for the info.

Further reading is pointing me towards christchurch - seems to be a better option in terms of finding work and as a base. Is there as much construction going on there as I'm hearing? I've no experience in the sector but I'm into rock climbing with a good head for heights so maybe suited for scaffolding..!

Any other good links for info? Or things I should be aware of/need to look into/register for etc?

You'll have no trouble with getting work in Christchurch at all mate. Go with a positive attitude and you'll nail down something pretty quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Trade me is the best place for info, but just be aware there is a housing shortage in Christchurch - the earthquake recovery phase is still very much a work in progress.

Advertisement