Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to find a pupil to help out

Options
  • 24-05-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Maths was always one of my favourite subjects. I got A1s in the LC in Maths and Applied Maths and I went on to do an Engineering degree and then go back a few years later to do an MSc in Applied Maths.

I now work in Software development so don't get to do any maths. I've been meaning to get into doing some volunteer work in my spare time. I'd really like to help out a LC student with some grinds free of charge.

My question is how would I go about finding a student who would like grinds but cannot afford them (as opposed to someone who'd just prefer not to pay for them)?

I was thinking about writing a letter to the principal of my old school but I'm not sure if that'd be a bit of a no-no (given that the grinds industry is a bit of an elephant in the room when it comes to secondary schools).

Anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maths was always one of my favourite subjects. I got A1s in the LC in Maths and Applied Maths and I went on to do an Engineering degree and then go back a few years later to do an MSc in Applied Maths.

I now work in Software development so don't get to do any maths. I've been meaning to get into doing some volunteer work in my spare time. I'd really like to help out a LC student with some grinds free of charge.

My question is how would I go about finding a student who would like grinds but cannot afford them (as opposed to someone who'd just prefer not to pay for them)?

I was thinking about writing a letter to the principal of my old school but I'm not sure if that'd be a bit of a no-no (given that the grinds industry is a bit of an elephant in the room when it comes to secondary schools).

Anyone have any other ideas?

Vincent de Paul maybe!!

http://www.svp.ie/What-We-Do/Resource-Centres/Ozanam-House-Resource-Centre.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I gave grinds for 10+ years and always discounted heavily if it was obvious the family couldn't really afford it. Maybe advertise in area thats not so affluent and take it from there. I never did that myself but it might be a foothold in an area where people will appreciate the kindness (its very rewarding personally and I don't mean that in fiscal terms)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think your original idea about contacting your local school is the way to go. They will know who the students are that are deserving of help. Maybe you could run a small group and help a few at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

If you are going to the school directly get Garda clearance first.

Try www.volunteering.force.com - they have a list of charities that help with tutoring / education. Contact them directly, although they may not have volunteer positions posted they will usually take the help.

The only maths posted on that website is for Cork, the Cope Foundation is looking for a Numeracy Tutor for people with intellectual disability.

Advertisement