Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert music practical??

Options
  • 24-05-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi everyone!!!!
    Going into sixth year music next year. For the practical, I plan to play 4 on piano and then music technology. What grade would my piano pieces need to be to get an A? My music teacher has given me NO guidance whatsoever. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Username44

To get an A you would be expected to be a strong grade 7 player.
    With music technology your almost guaranteed an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No not grade 7 (although if you can pull off grade seven pieces then play on..)

To be fair to All students who begin their instrument in 1st year, the standard is about a good grade 5.

Dont go wasting your time trying to fumble through impossible higher grade pieces for the sake of it.

Realistically, to get them under your fingers I would suggest you at least have 2 finished by christmas and the others half way there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Being able to play a "simple" piece confidently and well is better than stumbling a Grade 7/8 piece. It's a performance, not a grading exam. You want to show off and wow the examiner. I recommend that this summer you become a confident player and mess around with a lot of different genres, find your style. Maybe you can start performing with friends in a band? Or even in front of your family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I did one grade 6 piece and three modern pieces and am 100% sure I got an A in the practical because I checked my script and I had to have gotten an A because of my overall grade in relation to my script. Play what you feel most comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Thanks for all the replies. Ive decided to do one grade 6 pieces and three grade 7 ones. I just did grade 7 there recently so the pieces are fairly fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sophiiieee

Some of the marks are going for vaairty so i would advice against doing 4 grade exams, try have a classical, modern pop, musical theatre, jazz, slow/fast quiet/loud etc.

And as said already it is about preformance, easy, perfected pieces are much better than really complicated pieces with lots of mistakes.

I would say if you had 4 pieces of a grade 5 standard that were varying and perfected then you would get an A

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Hello. Doing leaving cert music next year and doing the performing elective. Ill be playing 4 piano and inputting a 4 part score into musescore. Im doing this on my own, cause im pretty handy with computers 😎, but wanted to know what type of edits im allowed to do. Thanks in advance😊.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Mldj wrote: »
    Hello. Doing leaving cert music next year and doing the performing elective. Ill be playing 4 piano and inputting a 4 part score into musescore. Im doing this on my own, cause im pretty handy with computers 😎, but wanted to know what type of edits im allowed to do. Thanks in advance😊.

Change metranome mark from say 100 to 90
    Change rhythm of two notes(two crotchets = dotted crotchet and quaver)
    Transpose score down 2 semitones

Advertisement