Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Only got one-year permit?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I arrived in Canada last Thursday (21st). I had all correct paperwork, plenty of support funds, two years of insurance - which the immigration officer read and even referenced the fact it stated 730 days. All went well. Then he disappeared to print my permit.

He handed it to me and pointed to the date and told me I had to leave by May 2016. I asked why, as it's an Irish passport. And he said he couldn't go against what it said on his system? Then told me to ask the "program" I arrived through. I said I hadn't applied through a program, I applied directly. I had a connecting flight so I couldn't stay long and argue.

Freaking out! Has this happened to anyone else? I've emailed CIC and plan to call the hotline tomorrow morning. I'm just confused. It has to be a mistake?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

More information would be helpful. What basis were you applying for your work permit on ? - If it was sponsored by an employer then I would have expected them to give you the two years if that is what was applied for. When does your current passport expire ? - Unlike many (most I think) other countries your Canadian work permit is non-transferrable between passports and expires when your passport expires. It is up to the discretion of the Immigration Officer how long they give you regardless of what is applied for - I have a friend who had employer paperwork applying for two years who was only given a four month work permit. You can of course appeal this so you are taking the right approach in appealing to the CIC. I know this is a generalisation and there can be difficult characters of both gender, but I always try to choose the line with the female Immigration Officers - In my experience they are usually less difficult than some of the males can be. The great thing is that once you have your work permit you can come and got from the country as often as you like hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 help123456

Thanks for responding!

I applied for the working holiday option, and so employment wasn't necessary. However I had obtained a job offer and showed it to the officer. My passport expires in 2020. The immigration officer was actually very nice...I'm just confused as to why! When I questioned it, he just told me he was going by the "system". I probably should've asked to speak to another officer about it, I was just worried about making my connecting flight. It's stated very clearly on the CIC website that Irish applicants are granted two years if accepted. I'm hoping to sort it out by speaking to CIC tomorrow directly.

Again, thank you for your input :)

Update:

Still haven't managed to sort this out. Has this happened to anyone recently? Has anyone managed to get reissued a 24 month visa?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irlcad

I could have typed your post, it's a replica of my situation.

I arrived in March, "computer says one year", I ask why, immigration fella has no idea...I'm told to phone a number which I do, only to be told to fill out a form (which I havent yet done).

I would never have dumped the cars and house if I'd known I'd only get a year

So frustrating. I submitted that form and heard nothing back. I've messaged a few people on Facebook today that have had the same experience - I'll let you know if I hear anything back...

• Advertisement

This week I wrote a letter to a local MP and was told to fill out form IMM5710 (I'm a new boards.ie member so I can't post a link)

Also "an explanation letter detailing the error with the expiry date on your immigration document" and pay more fees of course.

irlcad wrote: »
    This week I wrote a letter to a local MP and was told to fill out form IMM5710 (I'm a new boards.ie member so I can't post a link)

Also "an explanation letter detailing the error with the expiry date on your immigration document" and pay more fees of course.

This situation is making me so angry. It is such a friggin' joke. I finally got through to a CIC agent on the phone yesterday and she sent me an email telling me to fill out form IMM 5218 - request to amend record of landing, confirmation of a permanent residence or valid temporary documents. However there's no space on the form to indicate that my issue is with the expiration date. It's a disgrace if we have to pay more fees due to an immigration officers mistake. And the processing times? Shocking.

Are you going to fill that out? Now I don't know which one to do. I'm considering hopping the border and talking to an immigration officer on the way back in

I'm trying to find a pattern as to who's getting the 12 month permits, are you over 30?

I did try talking to an immigration officer at Rainbow Bridge in Niagara, I was intending to cycle over to the US for the afternoon and then come back later that day. The conversation, which went like this, means I'm afraid to leave Canada in case I won't be allowed back in:

Me: I'm over from Ireland on the IEC program, I have my work permit, ON license and Irish passport with me...if I cross that bridge for a few hours, will I be allowed back into Canada?

Officer: I can't guarantee that

Me: I have a clean police and driving record for Ireland and Canada, passport not due to expire until 2020. I wouldn't be bringing back any items from the US

Officer: I can't guarantee that you'd be allowed back, every time you cross back into Canada, your case effectively starts over

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I guess he's right that he can't guarantee anything, but if you have a valid work permit stapled into your passport I really can't see any reason why you would be refused re-entry. I travel to and from Canada very frequently and have never had a problem breezing in just by showing them the permit in my passport at Immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Once you have your visa in your passport you'll be fine. I crossed the US-Canadian border loads of times, even when there was only a month left on my visa. No problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I'm trying to find a pattern as to who's getting the 12 month permits, are you over 30?

I did try talking to an immigration officer at Rainbow Bridge in Niagara, I was intending to cycle over to the US for the afternoon and then come back later that day. The conversation, which went like this, means I'm afraid to leave Canada in case I won't be allowed back in:

Me: I'm over from Ireland on the IEC program, I have my work permit, ON license and Irish passport with me...if I cross that bridge for a few hours, will I be allowed back into Canada?

Officer: I can't guarantee that

Me: I have a clean police and driving record for Ireland and Canada, passport not due to expire until 2020. I wouldn't be bringing back any items from the US

Officer: I can't guarantee that you'd be allowed back, every time you cross back into Canada, your case effectively starts over

He is correct. Unless you are a citizen or permanent resident, you are never guaranteed entry to Canada. Having said that, it's extremely unlikely you would be refused re-entry.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Did anybody get this problem sorted out? Leaving in a few weeks myself and would be very upset if something like this happened to me.

How long after you got your POE did you wait until to leave for Canada could that be something to do with it? I got my POE last October and will only be leaving for Canada about 2 weeks before it's set to expire.

Also are you not allowed to come and go between the US and Canada as you please?

stevie1122 wrote: »
    Did anybody get this problem sorted out? Leaving in a few weeks myself and would be very upset if something like this happened to me.

How long after you got your POE did you wait until to leave for Canada could that be something to do with it? I got my POE last October and will only be leaving for Canada about 2 weeks before it's set to expire.

Also are you not allowed to come and go between the US and Canada as you please?

Without wanting to worry you, maybe this is the reason...I was 2 weeks short of 12 months

Does anyone know how long form IMM5710 (change conditions/extend stay) takes to get processed and do you end up with a 12 month extension from that date? I dont want to apply too early and end up shortchanged again.

Ah right thanks but there is no mention of this anywhere when applying that you will lose time the longer you take to leave + most people don't seem to go straight away after getting the POE they usually wait 6 -8 months just going by what I read on here and people who I know that are already over there so I don't think they would take a year away from you for an extra 3months on top of that doesn't seem fair at all.

Surely they would have to make people aware of this when applying. I'm under 30 myself so maybe the age thing being 30 or over could have something to do with it or it's just a mistake. As you said I have sold out off a lot of my personal belongs, left my job etc in preparation for going and I wouldn't have bothered with any of this if I thought I would only be getting a year + I am dead set on getting permanent residency which I don't think is possible if you only have a year.

Also where did you fly into it could depend on that as well?

Also where did you fly into it could depend on that as well?

Toronto for me

Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I waited 9 months before activating my IEC visa and was given the full 2 years.

You are not allowed to come and go as you please. It's very unlikely that you will have any issues crossing between US and Canada (and vice versa) but you have no absolute right to enter either country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I went to Toronto last April, a few weeks before my POE was due to expire. Im over 30. I was issued a one year visa. I noticed just before I left the area and went back to the same person who issued it. She then talked to a few people and changed it to the 2 year visa

Just to let anyone know about this because after reading here I was really worried I entered Canada last week with only a couple of days left on my POE and got a 2 year visa no problem without even saying anything so the number of days you have left doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Just to let anyone know about this because after reading here I was really worried I entered Canada last week with only a couple of days left on my POE and got a 2 year visa no problem without even saying anything so the number of days you have left doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Nice one! I just found form IMM1436E which I think I'll start with...its a form to correct mistakes on a permit and at this stage, getting one year is really looking like a mistake on their end

• Advertisement

Nice one! I just found form IMM1436E which I think I'll start with...its a form to correct mistakes on a permit and at this stage, getting one year is really looking like a mistake on their end

Original permit returned to me today with a rejection letter, stating that I need to apply for an extension to my permit and there was no error. "help123456" how did you get on after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aisdoyle

Hi everyone

I am looking to extend my visa, again, I was only given the 12 upon entering Canada. I have filled out the forms and I was just wondering how everyone got on? And do you just bring them to a POE and settle everything there? Thanks in advance

Advertisement