Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Level 8 to Level 7 - failure to progress?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I'm considering moving from a Level 8 to a Level 7 course within the same institute (internal transfer, so progressing directly to year 2 of the new level 7 course).

I have a horrible feeling that as I have completed Year 1 of a level 8 course, it will be viewed as failure to progress and grant funding may be withdrawn due to moving to a "lower" qualification. Could anyone shed anyone light/personal experience on this? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Once you are still progressing at Undergraduate studies, you are still progressing and may be eligible for funding once you meet all other criteria.

You can progress to year 2 of a Level 6 from a Level 8 course after completing year 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

There's some hope anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

kaki wrote: »
    There's some hope anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Looking back at my answer, it's probably not very clear that the level 6 from level 8 quote was an example.

Progression in Undergraduate studies is all about the undergraduate level and not the final outcome.

The maximum amount of years a course runs at undergraduate level (with the exception of medicine courses) is 4 years level 8.
    Therefore once you progress to a year greater then your year previously attended without gaining a qualification, you are still progressing.
    There are few times when you can go back to year 1 of an undergraduate course.
    The most common is second chance student.
    Then there is a student that has attained a Level 7 qualification and they can then do a further 4 years at Level 8.

Advertisement