Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave whilst on notice.

Options
  • 24-05-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I handed in my resignation last Monday, four weeks as per my contract which has been accepted. I have a long term illness which requires frequent check-ups. Last Friday, during my latest check-up the doctor noticed an issue which needs to be addressed very quickly which will require surgery and I will miss 3-4 weeks work as a result. So, can anyone tell me if I am required to go back to work to cover my four weeks notice after I have recovered?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Pretty sure you're not required to return. It might affect the annual leave you're due (which would possibly reduce your final pay check), but your notice period is not extended because of it.

How important is it for you to leave on good terms? Are you starting a new job directly after?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you need surgery, you need surgery - I think I would concentrate on getting well rather than worrying about working notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Different places may have different policies but the "norm" from my experience would be that a company wouldn't pay you sick pay during your notice period so you'd have to claim directly from the social welfare for those weeks.
    Although if you have annual leave that's owed to you then you may be able to use them to take the time off on full pay rather than sick/welfare pay

Advertisement