Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ejector Seat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

The Martin-Baker rocket-sled test track is at Langford Lodge, former airfield a few miles from Belfast International.

The company's King Air is a frequent visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

It didn't save Goose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Saved a well known flight instructor in Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

I follow Martin Baker on LinkedIn, they regularly post stories from ejectees about their ejections, and every ejectee gets a number. Their seats have saved 7472 lives. Great bit of kit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

marketty wrote: »
    I follow Martin Baker on LinkedIn, they regularly post stories from ejectees about their ejections, and every ejectee gets a number. Their seats have saved 7472 lives. Great bit of kit.
    They get lifetime membership in " The Martin Baker Club"
    I read their website a couple of months ago. All the stories from the ejectee's. I think 2-3 guys are actually double members!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Tenger wrote: »
    They get lifetime membership in " The Martin Baker Club"
    I read their website a couple of months ago. All the stories from the ejectee's. I think 2-3 guys are actually double members!!

And a tie Tenger! Don't for get the tie! I strayed on there a few mths ago,pretty interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A neighbour of mine got his membership, though his instructor landed it.

http://www.martin-baker.com/_pdfs/escape_magazine.pdf

pg 4

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Saved a well known flight instructor in Cork :D

Who? Was it TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Alaba320 wrote: »
    Who? Was it TB?

GH I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Alaba320 wrote: »
    Who? Was it TB?

If it was TB he's telling you porkies:D

Pepe is correct, if you ask nicely he'll tell you about it. Or at least the bits he remembers I think it was Flameout, load bang, cold wind and pressure on his harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

Growler!!! wrote: »
    If it was TB he's telling you porkies:D

Pepe is correct, if you ask nicely he'll tell you about it. Or at least the bits he remembers I think it was Flameout, load bang, cold wind and pressure on his harness.

Ah I thought it would be between them two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I had a job interview once at their factory in Denham. They have a sign in reception with a running total of the number of lives their seats have saved. They are incredibly proud of what they do.

Difficult place to get in to as well, people don't often leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

F-35 Ejection Seat Fears Ground Lightweight Pilots
    Concerns about increased risk of injury to F-35 pilots during low-speed ejections have prompted the US military services to temporarily restrict pilots who weigh less than 136 pounds from flying the aircraft, Defense News has learned.

During August tests of the ejection seat, built by Martin-Baker, testers discovered an increased risk of neck injury when a lightweight pilot is flying at slower speeds. Until the problem is fixed, the services decided to restrict pilots weighing under 136 pounds from operating the plane, Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Harrigian, F-35 integration office director, told Defense News in a Tuesday interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

tricky D wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine got his membership, though his instructor landed it.

http://www.martin-baker.com/_pdfs/escape_magazine.pdf

pg 4
    What a story, cant believe I never heard that before...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Slightly OT but I remember years ago, when I was in the Air Cadets in UK, we got a cockpit section of a Venom. It was parked up on a trailer and a mate and I were messing in it and he pulled one of the handles on the seat I was sat on. Some mechanical timer whirred and we both jumped out each side in total panic. Nothing else happened as the seat had been deactivated, but it was one time in my life I was genuinely afraid for my life, and everyone else thought this was hilarious. Went on to join the RAF as a technician, but never got to work on anything with bang seats on apart from the old trainer aircraft in basic training ( Canberra, Lightning, Hunter and Gnat)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Thargor wrote: »
    What a story, cant believe I never heard that before...
    When we were on the Boards A&A Forum tour of Baldonnel in August. I happened to ask to one of flight engineers had anyone from the Air Corps, ever joined the "Martin Baker Club" and without hesitation he told me this very story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Trigger Mortis' whirring sound was probably the hood mechanism on the older seats. When the pilot pulled the hood down over his face, the firing sequence started and several mechanical devices operated to pull the pilots' legs back from the pedals, blow off the canopy, start the main ejection gun firing sequence and prepare the parachute drogue for it's deployment. All of this happened in under a second.Most of these mechanical devices used clockwork or rods and gears to actuate and the seats, up to about the 80s, were entirely mechanical, with no computers and very little electronics.

Advertisement