Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I need to study Chemistry over the summer?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I think we're a good bit behind on the course, the teacher doesn't think so. I was wondering if I should plough ahead or whether it's okay. I just don't think we'll get the rest of the chapters done, in all honesty.

Finished:
    Elements+Periodic Table
    Atomic Structure
    Radioactivity
    Electronic Structure of Atoms
    Gas Laws and the Mole
    Stoichiometry
    Acids + Bases 1
    Acid/Base Titrations
    Rates of Reaction
    Chemical Equilibrium

Sort of done:
    Oxidation/Reduction
    Ionic and Covalent Bonding

To Do:
    The rest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

If you actually understand everything you've done I would do some exam papers to reinforce that you understand everything you've done. Most teachers have a way of getting through everything when they need to. Some things need more time than others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

To be honest I don't think there's any point in doing any over summer. You've got a good bit of the course done and if your teacher says it will be finished in time, you have to presume it will. It's not that big of a course anyway. You might as well forget about school and have a bit of fun this summer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

You've covered a lot more of the course than my class this time last year, and we finished the course with about 3 weeks to spare.

I wouldn't worry about studying new topics over summer at all. If you really want to do something, then make sure you actually understand the basic stuff like bonding, electronegativity etc really well. It will help you a lot with organic chemistry next year. Trying to learn organic without having grasped the basics from 5th year was not fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FreaksAndGeeks

Honestly I think you have done a load for 5th year.

But if you still feel a bit behind maybe you might want to have a look at the first few chapters of Organic Chemistry.

Maybe read it once or twice while looking at exam paper questions just to become familiar with it.

Also going over what you did in 5th year in early August (breifly dont kill yourself with work) wouldn't hurt at all.

The Chemistry course is fairly short and you'll probably have the course done by the pre next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

Wow, seems I was worrying about nothing. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement