Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to have some photos printed and framed?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could please advise me on what might be the best way to have a number of images printed as posters and framed to hang in my room.

I have explored a number of avenues such as ordering framed prints from websites, as well as getting the images printed as posters somewhere in Dublin City and then getting them framed somewhere else. Both options seem to be very expensive.

I'm not an expert on digital images or what DPI and photo quality I need either, so any help would be great.

Probably best to just show what I want done and then see if anyone has any ideas.

I want this image printed to a a large size, perhaps three feet tall and two across.
    https://wiki.uiowa.edu/download/attachments/30443675/oscar_wilde.jpg?api=v2

Another would be this image, as big as it can be made without blurring it.
    http://fightnews.ru/files/u4902/iron_mike.jpg

It is important that the images be black and white and with a black frame so that they match the rest of the room.

If anyone has any ideas about what is the cheapest way to get this done, it would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,296 ✭✭✭✭looksee

First question is, what size are the images you have? And what size? (? pixels x ? pixels). If they are images you took off the internet and you have shown them actual size then there is no possibility of getting them big enough to print at anything approaching the size you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

looksee wrote: »
    First question is, what size are the images you have? And what size? (? pixels x ? pixels). If they are images you took off the internet and you have shown them actual size then there is no possibility of getting them big enough to print at anything approaching the size you are looking for.

Hey looksee, thanks for the reply. Yeah I was hoping that it was possible to just take images from google and get them blown up, I guess that was wishful thinking.

Is there any way at all it can be done? In order to get a poster-sized image printed, what specifications must a digital image have?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Have you checked out Aldi's photo printing? They do offers every so often, if you sign up to their newsletter. Starting at 99c for a poster.
    Maybe you could get cheap frames in a Euro shop or second-hand shop, and paint them black if necessary. Wooden frames would be easy to paint with acrylic paint, plastic/metal could be sprayed with enamel paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

S0crates wrote: »
    Hey looksee, thanks for the reply. Yeah I was hoping that it was possible to just take images from google and get them blown up, I guess that was wishful thinking.

Is there any way at all it can be done? In order to get a poster-sized image printed, what specifications must a digital image have?
    Remember to check the copyright on the images you are taking from Google.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I was wondering if anyone could please advise me on what might be the best way to have a number of images printed as posters and framed to hang in my room.
    If anyone has any ideas about what is the cheapest way to get this done, it would be very much appreciated.

You've asked two different questions in the one thread.

The BEST way would be to research the owner of the photos, get in touch and buy a copy from them - thereby giving the owner their fair dues.

The CHEAPEST way would be to carry on as you're going, steal the images from the owner, find an unscrupulous printer who will print them for you and hang them on your wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement